60. Safe

(A/n: I love the video, the song is so good as well <3)

"Yo, little miss bold? You gonna wake up soon or not?" You squint up at the ceiling, hissing in pain from the scrapes on your arms and legs. Waiting for your eyes to adjust to the light you sit up, waiting as your eyes focus on the male in front of you.

"Kuro, what time is it?" you yawn, using the back of your hand to rub one of your eyes. He chuckles and looks to the clock on the wall.

"Hmm you're a bit late, you've missed the first train but I think you can make the second one if you hurry." Your eyes widen and you jump out of bed, rushing over to your uniform to quickly put it on. It hurt since your wounds were still new but they were wrapped with bandages so it wasn't as bad. You hated to feel fragile but you'd just have to visit Recovery Girl when you got to school. You rushed around your room, grabbing your books and stopping to quickly brush your hair. As you ran down the stairs you glared back at Kuro who followed.

"Why didn't you wake me up," you growled lowly. He shrugged his shoulders, sliding his hands into his pockets.

"I'm not too sure, but I don't regret it now. Seeing you rushing around is really amusing." You let out a sigh of annoyance and ran into the kitchen. Your mother was sitting at the kitchen table, reading a book that sat in front of her. When she saw you she smiled brightly.

"Oh, good morning, darling", she greets. You didn't even bother saying anything, you made your way over to her and pecked her cheek before running to the front door.

"Sorry, mother," you apologize, "I have to go or I'll be late for school". Before she could respond the front door slammed and you were out.

You ran down the street towards the train station, not caring about the pain in your legs. This pain wasn't from the scrapes but from how hard you pushed yourself yesterday. It was really starting to hurt but you didn't care, you couldn't be late for class. There would already be so much attention on you and showing up in the middle of a lesson wouldn't help. You spotted the train station up ahead you increased your pace, noticing the train already there. You ran onto the platform and through the open train doors a second before they closed. Resting your hands on your knees you breathed heavily, trying to catch your breath.

You could hear Kuro laughing but decided to ignore it, he seemed to be back to his old teasing self. You entered one of the train carriages and sat next to a window so you could watch the world go by as you travelled.

The ride didn't feel as slow as it usually did. You arrived at your stop and got up, continuing to run once you were off. You pulled your phone from your pocket just as you reached the bus stop, letting out a sigh of defeat when you saw the time. You had missed the bus.

"That's a shame, ain't it?" Kuro smirks, resting his hand on your shoulder. You didn't even bother answering, you were not going to be late. Turning in the direction the bus went, you started to run, Kuro following behind you.

"What are you doing?" he asks, trying to keep up. You pick up the pace, leaving him in your dust.

"I'm running the rest of the way."

"Wait, I haven't attached myself to your shadow yet!" he panics, the distance between the two of you growing exponentially. But even so, you kept running. You wouldn't let yourself be late, especially not today.

"(Y/n), I'm serious. Wait for me, I'll die out here without you!" he yells, sounding almost afraid. You slowed down a little, letting him catch up.

"What do you mean by that? You can't die, you're a shadow." He lets out a sad laugh as he runs beside you.

"You're only half right. When a shadow spirit's host dies then it finds another but if it detaches itself and gets stuck in the light too long it'll slowly fade away until it eventually dies," he explains, holding his hand out to show it growing transparent. You stopped running and threw yourself at him, hugging him tightly.