51. Hospital

Your eyes fluttered open slowly, squinting due to the excessive amount of light. The walls and ceiling of the room you were in were painted white and it smelt of antiseptic. You lifted your head to look around the room but the movement caused you to his in pain, there was a strange aching in your chest.

"Don't push yourself", you heard someone say. Sitting beside your bed was Kuro, but he seemed different than the last time you had seen him. He wasn't serious looking like he was when you trained, he didn't have his smirk or mischievous grin either. Instead, he frowned. It was an expression of disappointment and regret. He looked up at you, his lifeless eyes holding your gaze.

"How long have I been asleep?", you ask, your voice croaky from not using it in a while. His gaze drops to the floor, his chin resting in the palm of his hand. "Only 5 hours. Recovery girl came in and treated your wounds but some of your ribs are still broken, she'll be back soon to fully heal them". You let out a quiet sigh, lifting your arm to brush a piece of hair out of your face. 

"I still can't believe it", you mutter. Kuro's gaze returns to you.

"What are you talking about?". You stare up at the ceiling, your eyes glued to the light which hung in its centre. 

"I was too weak, I train every night to the best of my ability yet I can't even beat a stupid villain".

"(Y/n), it isn't yo-". 

"Don't lie to me, Kuro. I haven't worked hard enough, I'm pathetic... when father comes he'll take mother and me back. Then... then I-".

 "SHUT UP!".

Your eyes widened at his sudden outburst, he had never yelled at you like this before. You turned your head, noticing just how upset and stressed out he was.

"Don't blame yourself for this, this isn't your fault... it's mine". You inspected him closer, his hands were curled into fists and he was shaking. 

"My job is to protect you and I couldn't even do that". 

"Kuro, you're protecting me just fine", you assure. He shakes his head, threading his fingers through his hair.

"No, I'm not. You think that you know me the way I know you, I know everything about you except for the things in your head. Yet you know nothing about me... nothing at all". You could barely move because of the pain but you managed to sit up, fighting through it. You turned your body so you were facing him and shifted slowly off the bed until you were standing. It still hurt but you pushed through, feeling excessive amounts of concern for Kuro. You placed your hands on his shoulder to get his attention.

"Kuro, it wasn't your fault. What happened was my fault. I couldn't let Aizawa-sensei die so I took a risk and charged in, not even coming up with a plan first. My emotions clouded my vision and I couldn't see or think clearly. The only thing I could see was my mother's crying face when she found out that her love was killed". He shakes his head, looking up at you sadly. Something that you had completely missed was Kuro's dark eyes dripping with tears. You frowned at the sight of someone so strong and confident in such a low state.

"I failed her, (Y/n), and I'm not going to let that happen again". You tilted your head to the side, almost tripping and falling as the balance of your body shifted. Kuro stood up and caught you, placing you back on your hospital bed.

"Who are you talking about?", you asked. He sat by your side, looking down at his lap.

"Your grandmother was an amazing woman, it's a shame that you never got to meet her". Your eyes widened.

"You knew her?". Kuro gave a hesitant nod, still refusing to look up at you.

"She was born into a wealthy family but they hated her because she was thought to be quirkless. When she was 6 years old her parents became fed up with her and she was abandoned. Having her heart crushed by the ones she cared about the most her shadow spirit was summoned, becoming like an older brother to her". You felt your throat grow dry as you came to a realization.

"It was you, wasn't it?".

One more after this! Vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD