72. The game

The tall figure became fully visible as the mist began to disappear, showing them in more detail. He wore a full back suit, the jacket was long and broke off in two tails. His suit was complimented by a tie which he adjusted with his white gloved hands. He then reached up to his face which was partially covered by a black mask, brushing some hair out of his eye. His outfit was topped off with a black bowler hat and a cane which he held in his left hand, he was an image of intimidation. He chucked darkly, lowering a body which had been draped over his shoulder and dropping them to the ground. You tried to identify who they were but the remainder of the fog hung low, covering them.

The shadow puppeteer chuckled as he eyed the crowd of first year students with interest.

"There's nothing more entertaining then watching a group of wannabe heroes claw their way to the top for a pathetic medal. It's amusing to see the lucky ones with flashy quirks fight each other, although it would be much better if it were to the death." He was obviously enjoying himself, the half of his face that was exposed showed a sadistic smirk. Everyone remained quiet with the exception of one girl who spoke out, visibly shaking.

"W-what do you want? Why are you here?" she asks, her eyes spilling over with tears. The villain chuckles darkly, his smirk remaining.

"The answer is simple, I'm looking for my precious marionette. You see, she's tried to cut her strings and escape me but that's impossible. A puppet can never disobey their master." His eyes then scanned the group of students, licking his lips.

"Now, little marionette. Why don't you come out and play?" he asks, opening his arms as if to offer a hug. You watched from the center of the crowd, staring blankly at the older male who called for you. Tokoyami moved closer to you, Dark shadow wrapping around your waist protectively. Out of everyone here, only Hitoshi and Tokoyami knew about your father. Thinking about Hitoshi broke your heart, you knew that once you stepped forward there was a chance that you wouldn't be able to see him again, the same went for all of the friends you had made at U.A.

"Come on out, princess. Don't you want to see me again? It's been a long two months." When he didn't get a reply he let out a snicker, your lack of response was obviously irritating me.

"Oh well, if you're shy that's fine, you never were too good with words. I brought someone to see you, it's a good thing I brought them too. You'll definitely want to come out when you see them." He reaches down and lifts the body into a sitting position, their wrists and ankles bound tightly by shadow threads. He grabbed them by the hair, revealing them. Her face was tear-stained, a piece of cloth gagging and stopping her from making a sound. She looked up with an expression of pain and desperation, one which you promised she would never have again.

"(Y/n)," Kirishima whispered. You glanced in his direction, catching his gaze. He gave you a look of confusion and worry. The woman he held was indeed your mother, but for some reason your legs wouldn't move, you never expected it to be like this. Taking a deep breath, you returned your gaze to your mother and father.

"Come on now, darling, don't make me ask again. One more time and I'll start killing off kids." That's where you drew the line. You turned to Tokoyami and pushed Dark shadow away, the bird-headed boy opened his mouth to speak but no words came out. With a sad smile, you pushed though the crowd of first years and stood before the man that you loathed.

"Oh, there you are, I thought that you'd be too afraid to face me after running away. You were so loyal, I never would've thought that you would take off with your mother. I truly was surprised when I came back to see you gone, very brave of you," he praises. But his words meant nothing to you.

"What do you want?" you ask coldly. His smile widened at the sound of your voice.

"I want you back, darling, but since you were idiotic enough to leave I have a little punishment." He clicked his fingers, having shadow spirits appear before him and rush towards the students. You stood frozen in shock as the first years of U.A, even those who were strong, were restrained by the dark creatures. He eyes you as you watched your classmates and friends become defenseless as they were completely overpowered by the shadow spirits.