56. Brother

You made your way towards the park, Kuro following close behind you. He was staring but it didn't faze you, you were just pleased to get out. Not that you wanted to get away from your mother, it was just that you felt trapped indoors. It reminded you of your old house and how your father wouldn't let you leave. The only times were when he had meetings or if he was there to supervise you while you trained. You took a deep breath, savouring the feeling of fresh air in your lungs. You made your way to the park, your eyes widening when you saw a familiar cat sitting on a bench. You approached it, earning a needy meow from the feline. You sat beside it, petting him lightly.

"Hey Tsuki", you greet. The white cat leaned into your touch, purring quietly. It was only now that you realized that you hadn't seen him since before you and Hitoshi had gone your separate ways.

"So where've you been?', you asked the cat. It just closed its eyes and jumped off the bench, making its way in the direction of your house. You would've followed him but you didn't want to go home yet.

You got off the bench and started to walk around the park. You hadn't really taken the chance to fully explore it. There was a small playground and a long path which winded through the trees and over to a pond. You had never been there before so you decided it would be nice to see. It didn't take long to reach it and you weren't disappointed by it either. You found the sight very relaxing. Ducks and swans floated on the water's surface, occasionally craning their necks and dipping their heads in. It wasn't very clear, but no pond with ducks usually was. You just found it therapeutic. You sat by the water in silence, not even bothering to look to Kuro as he sat beside you.

"It's really nice today", he whispered, his dark eyes scanning the murky water. You turned to look at him but was surprised to see he wasn't there anymore. You looked around for him but you couldn't see him anywhere, you just assumed that he went off by himself. But then you heard bubbling coming from the pond. From under a lilypad, Kuro emerged, his hair wet and sticking to his forehead. He met your gaze before submerging himself in the water like a crocodile. You had to cover your mouth to stop yourself from laughing. You noticed movement in the water and watched as he moved closer to a group of ducks, giving them a fright. You couldn't hold it any longer and started laughing loudly. He chuckled and got out of the pond, shaking himself dry like a dog would.

"There it is", he smirks, wringing out his shirt. You tilt your head to the side in confusion.

"Where what is?", you ask. He walks over to you and pets your head, wetting your hair.

"The laugh and smile". You felt a little embarrassed, hiding your cheeks behind your hands. You always felt so awkward when people mentioned your smile, your laugh or your blush. They were such rare things but now that you had started U.A and made so many friends, they happened more often. Blushing was new to you too, you remember the first time being in the car on the way to your aunt's house. And you smiling at Hitoshi and laughing when you were hanging out with Bakugou and the others. You smiled down at your lap, being reminded of how your life had completely changed since you left your father. Everything was so much better. You father had told you that no one would accept you but they did, you had friends and people and who cared about you. You couldn't imagine a life without them now, this was more than you could ever have hoped for.

Snapping yourself out of your thoughts you decided it was time to head back. You stood and made your way back to the path. Kuro walked by your side, magically not wet anymore. You were a lot more relaxed than you had been previously but something frightened you.

"Shut the hell up, you damned discount Pikachu!". You looked to the nearby path and saw four figures walking in the direction you were in. Your eyes widened in shock, you didn't expect to be confronted by them until tomorrow, you weren't mentally prepared for this. Instinctively, you jumped up into the tree and crouched on a branch, making sure to stay out of sight.