66. Plummet

Standing at the back of the group of students, you gently shiver in displeasure at the sight of the crowd. You didn't like the cluster of bodies or the feeling of others being so close. You valued your personal space and this was a large breach in it. Taking many deep breaths, you were able to calm your anxiety. A hero doesn't hide from their problems, they face them head on, growing stronger with each new experience.

"On your marks!" Midnight announces. You look around to see that the people in front of you are ones you don't know. It's not that you were looking for help, you just thought a familiar face would help calm your nerves. It seemed as if most of the students in your class took their place in the front, ready at any moment for the signal to go.

"Get set!" You held your breath, only now noticing how hot it was in the small tunnel you all waited in. The body heat of every student inside had culminated, this made the air feel heavy which you found to be very uncomfortable.

"Go!" Your eyes widened in surprise as the students began to push at each other, trying to get out of the tunnel and onto the obstacle course. You, however, didn't care for pushing and so leapt over the group with one large jump, joining the others who had fortunately made it out first.

Once out on the obstacle course, the heat from inside the tunnel immediately disappeared, being replaced with the cold feeling of the icy floor. You had used your hands to gain balance after leaping over the other students by placing them in front of you, it was surprising to see the ground covered in a sheet of ice. The momentum of your jump carried you forward across the ice. You knew that you would eventually fall once you had stopped sliding. Slowing down, you felt as if you were going to slip over but were pushed back up before you could lose balance. A familiar chuckle resonated in your ear, filling you with a feeling of reassurance.

"Kuro, help," you whispered. You could almost hear the smirk in his voice as he replied, placing his invisible hands on your shoulders.

"As you wish." He gave you a big push, one much stronger than you had expected. You went shooting across the ice, changing feet to keep balance and dodge around other students who were struggling to get past the ice. You were very thankful when you saw dirt up ahead. Trying to stay balanced while ice skating without the correct shoes was difficult. At any moment you could slip and fall on your ass.

You jumped off the ice, beginning to run at a steady pace towards the next obstacle. In the background, you could hear Present mic making announcements but you were too concentrated to hear what he was saying. All that you could hear was Todoroki and something about a Robo-inferno, you just guessed that was what the first obstacle was going to be.

After a minute or so of running, you saw a lot of robots which you had faced in the practical part of the entrance exam, all of them being zero pointers. You had come face to face with them but had never fought one, it would probably be very strong and hard to destroy so you had to think of a way of getting past. Punching the metal would be idiotic, sure it worked with the weaker ones, twos and threes, but here it was different. They were on a whole different level.

Coming closer, you noticed a bunch of students standing around. They were either too afraid to move or searching for options. For you, speed and intelligence were going to be very important.

Rather than stopping, like a majority of the other students, you ran straight at the robots. They all turned to you, one immediately attempting to hit and crush you with its metallic limb. You dodged the attack and leapt onto its hand, running up its arm. The other robots kept their cameras on you, attempting to attack you while you climbed the robot. Two other zeros tried to attack but hit the robot you were standing on instead, damaging its metal body. While the robots attacked their own kind, you managed to escape. The robots continued to fight the zero you were previously standing on, thinking that you were hiding somewhere on its body.

"Would you look at that. It seems that Miss Takeyama was able to use her speed to her advantage and maneuver around the robot attacks. Finishing off her opponent by them into fighting each other. She has left the battle without a scratch and is now making her way towards the next obstacle," Present mic says into his microphone, his voice being projected throughout the stadium. Cheers fill the stands, making you feel an odd warmth within your chest. It was the same feeling you got when your mother thanked you for helping her escape your old house and father, it was something you looked forward to as a future hero.

Running faster, you passed many competitors. Two being Kirishima and a silver-haired boy, who seemed to have a similar quirk to your friend. There also seemed to be two others running ahead of you, Ojiro, the boy with the tail, and a boy wearing a bandana from class 1-B. He caught your gaze as you passed him. Instinctively, you sent him a soft smile which brought heat to his cheeks. You couldn't help but smile as you ran further down the path, slowing down as you reached the next obstacle.

A sign stood to the side, reading 'The fall'. As you got closer you could see the darkness of the deep chasm in your path. Small islands were connected by ropes and thin wooden bridges, you were worried about this one.

But there was no time to stop.

Up ahead you could see two students from class 1-B half way and Iida almost finishing his passage over the deep hole. Gathering courage, you took a leap of faith and ran across the first wooden bridge to a nearby island. From there you could see one a good jumping distance away so you hopped over the gap, firmly grabbing a hold of the ground of the island once you landed. You had never been afraid of heights, it was the fact that the abyss below was so dark you felt as if something would reach up and grab you, pulling you into the depths of the nothingness below. You took several deep breaths to calm your nerves once again.

You had barely started making your way across when others began to pass you. Sero passed you, sending you a sad smile as he hurried along. You remained crouched on the dirt island, unable to move.

Next to pass you were the silver-haired boy following not too far behind Kirishima, then Ojiro and the bandana-wearing boy. You bit your lip in frustration, this was such a minor obstacle yet you couldn't bring yourself to push forward. It took a lot of mental strength and willpower to force yourself to stand, keeping your eyes on the sky and ignoring the darkness below. From there you began sprinting, you would look down only when you were on an island to see where the next bridge was.

Running, you never slowed down. You were almost catching up to the boy wearing the bandana, halfway across the chasm when you heard a loud crack. The plank of wood below your feet snapped in two, leaving you without support... causing you to plummet into the abyss.

Well damn...
I hope the sports festival is entertaining to read about even though it's only just started. When I read MHA fanfic, the thing I hate to read the most about is the sports festival. Mostly because it was long in the anime and reciting it fully is just really boring to read. I'll definitely mention what other students are doing while writing it out but it will be based solely on your teams and those close to you. I'm not gonna analyse every single action of every character. Thanks.

Anyway, vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD