76. Titan

You stretch a shadow thread to use as the sting of the bow, taking a few shots at the titan as you run back to create distance. Kuro follows, matching your pace to run by your side.

"What are you going to do with the bow? Shooting at it is useless." You nod but continue doing so, jumping back as the massive shadow slams its fists into the ground. As it takes time to stand, you take a knee and place the bow on the ground. You cup your hands and concentrate, Kuro immediately understanding what you were attempting.

"(Y/n), a shadow grenade isn't going to work. It's too weak for an enemy like this and you haven't mastered it yet, please tell me that you have something better than this." You couldn't help but glare at the shadow boy as he crouched beside you, firmly gripping your shoulders.

"Kuro, I'm doing the only thing I can think of." His grip grows even tighter as his gaze intensifies. 

"It's not good enough! I can't lose you too, (Y/n). Not being able to see your grandmother again broke my heart, seeing you go would tear me apart. I can't deal with that again!" he yells. Never before had you seen him so emotional. Sure, he had bawled his eyes out at the hospital but now he looked so angry. Tears welled in his dark eyes, if you didn't know him you'd assume he was human. To calm him, you pulled your hands apart and hugged him. Affection between the two of you was rare but when it happened it was meaningful, he was so much like a big brother to you. He took care of you, teased and annoyed you.

Reading books as a child you had always wanted an older sibling, someone to protect and hold you. At that time, your mother was weak and submissive and you were the one to console her. You wanted someone to be there for you, for them to tell you everything was going to be okay and that you felt safe around.

"Put your trust in me, Kuro. I'm going to do everything I can to keep Hitoshi, my family, friends and you with me. I feel almost greedy trying to take it all but I know I deserve it, after everything this is all I want. You don't understand how much you mean to me, just know that when I fight for you, I don't plan on losing." He nods, tears finally being released, beginning to stream down his cheeks. Pulling away, he wipes his wet eyes with his sleeve, sniffling.

"Don't lose," he whispers, his voice cracking. You nod and ruffle his hair the way he always did to you.

"Like I said before, I don't plan on losing. I choose death before losing you and everyone else I care about. Now, let me take care of this, let me protect our contract." He smiles weakly and gets up, making a small amount of space for you to retry making your shadow grenade. Kuro watches, noticing Akuma and her giant approaching.

"(Y/n)!" he calls, pointing to the shadow titan. You watch as it swings at you, jumping over it's fist. You hit the ground harshly on the other side but that didn't stop you. Running around, you had the chance to look outside at the heroes who watched beyond the barrier. Some continued to pry at the shadow wall but were unsuccessful, the only one out there who could get in would be Tokoyami.

"What a cute display!" Akuma coos from behind her puppet.

"Never before did I think Kuro would get so close to another human, it's rare for us to develop relationships like that. But I can see it, you have your grandmother's kindness. Some people in your family used their shadow spirits as their personal assistants and body guards, treating us like pets rather than equals. Before your father, I had a perverted young man as my master, he was your father's grandfather. He was a disgusting man, he kidnapped and raped women for his own entertainment after his wife divorced him for a younger, richer man." You glare at her as you dodge another attack.

"You're nothing better than him, tricking my father into harming my mother in such ways. If you ask me, you're exactly like him!" She huffs and adjusts and the skirt of her dress, turning her face away from you.