fourteen

열넷

Taehyung's PoV;

"Alright, class! Pack your things up, I'll see you later. Don't forget the assignment!" The teacher announced as he dismissed us from literature, clapping sweaty hands together.

I swear that a droplet of sweat landed in front of my desk.

The man was overly gross and sweaty. It's literally winter and he's sweating like a whore in church.

Speaking of winter, guess who's birthday it is?

Mine!

And guess what I'm doing to celebrate it?

Staying in school!

Alone!

Everyone was busy on my birthday.

Jimin, Hoseok and Taemin were on a trip to do with dance- meaning I was alone in literature. I wasn't gonna lie, I did not miss Taemin giving overly-intelligent inferences on each line of the poem.

Yoongi was on the same trip, but he was doing something on the composition for the background music.

Namjoon and Jin were visiting a science research centre in order to help them with their work.

I didn't even know if Jeongguk was in, I presume he's on the dance trip with them.

Sighing, I packed up my stuff and walked out of literature, looking at my shoes as I made my way to art.

There was a frown evident on my face as I recalled this morning.

It was one of those days where I wished that I had a family.

The only thing that I woke up to today was Yeontan barking as loud as he possibly could at absolutely fucking nothing, at five in the morning.

There was no hot water, so I didn't get to have a shower, leaving my hair in it's second day of greasiness. I wasn't mentally prepared to have a cold shower in the midst of winter, so I decided to just leave it. The kids at school had seen me in worse states.

Then, I had no bread as it had gone mouldy so I hadn't had breakfast.

I didn't wake up to streamers and balloons and happy parents cheering 'happy birthday' to me, standing next to my siblings as they came to wake me up from bed with wide smiles.

Just a tiny dog bursting his blood vessels with fifty barks a minute.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, so I sat on the nearby wall as I picked up.

"Hey Jimin, what's up?" I asked.

"Just calling to see how you're doing, seeing as the teachers have finally let us have a break." He answered, some background noise crackling as he spoke.

"That's rough, dude, what've you been doing?"

"Mostly choreographic stuff. They've taught us a dance to this song to help us dance on beat." He sighed.

"That sounds shit."

"It is. I'm sorry, Taehyung, for not being there on your birthday." Jimin said through the phone, Hoseok's loud laugh in the background, "I'll come see you when we're back. We come back after two days, but I don't know what time."

I know they didn't mean it, but Hoseok's laughing and Jimin's cheerful voice as he told Taemin to stop kicking him, made it sound like they'd rather be where they were instead of celebrating my birthday.

It was selfish, but I wanted to be with them.

Sure, I'd be at school, but I'd be there with them.