fifty one

쉰한

Jeongguk's PoV;

Shivering from being caught in the pouring rain for five minutes, I opened the door with trembling hands, fumbling with my keys.

I exhaled heavily as soon as I entered the room, mentally thanking and praising Jeong-ja's weird obsession with having the thermostat up high.

Kicking my shoes off, I pulled my sodden jacket off, wringing it out in the kitchen sink and placing it on one of the radiators near the window.

"Hey, pup." I whispered to Yeontan, who had run up to me at a speed you wouldn't expect from a tiny ball of fluff.

He barked quietly, eyebrows furrowed in playful determination and he wagged his tail quickly, nipping at my ankles as he zoomed around my feet.

What kind of dog has this much energy?!

Isn't it time for his midday nap?

I held back a laugh at his glare as I effortlessly picked him up in one hand, placing him in his cage which I referred to as 'puppy jail'. He could easily jump over the small fence barrier, but he didn't know that and so he continued to whimper, stomping his tiny paws in a tantrum.

I ignored the pup, who now decided to retreat to his bed and go to sleep, as I made my way over to Jeong-ja.

She looked so upset and it broke my heart.

Sure, she was no angel (she was a fucking bitch), but she didn't deserve all the pain she got in life. She didn't deserve Jiwook's insults and drunken shouts, or his slurring about her. She didn't deserve to have a dying mother and an already dead father and brother.

She deserved to be on an exotic beach, somewhere like paradise for her, sat with the love of her life, someone who'd treat her right. She deserved to let her hair down for once and slide her feet into sandals rather than impossibly high heels, which no doubt bruised her delicate feet.

Sighing, I brushed some of the hair from her face which had come astray from the tight bun that sat on her head.

That must be uncomfortable.

I pulled her blanket so that it covered her skinny figure a bit more, before carefully bringing my hands to her glossy bun.

I unwrapped the elastic, watching in mild fascination as the silky hair fell upon her shoulders, and I swear I could see her face relax and untense.

I walked around to the back of the sofa, catching a glimpse of Taehyung's face as I did so.

He looked peaceful, which reassured me.

I gently brought her hair into my hands, twisting the strands over one another until it formed a lazy braid, tying the soft plait with the same elastic - with some cursing as it twanged on my fingers (which stung like a fucking bitch).

I moved around to Taehyung, jumping slightly as Yeontan barked and growled at his lack of attention. Holding back the urge to flip the dog off, I crouched in front of the sleeping boy.

He was adorable.

His cheek was pressed against one of the cheap cushions that he insisted on buying, the cute chubbiness squashing his face up. His candy-pink lips formed into a pout and gentle exhales fell from the tissue as he slept soundly.

His slender hand hung over the side of the sofa, phone pinched between slim fingers, midway through some Netflix show.

I carefully plucked the mobile from his hold, locking the phone and placing it on the table.