24 Hours Au (Analogical)

Unedited

T.W. DEATH mentions of anxiety DESCRIPTIONS OF DEAD BODIES.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

"Are you sure you are okay with this?" He spoke as he met the subject's gaze. A sort of fondness rested in his eyes as he looked at the male in front of him. To anyone else in the lab, it was just a scientist testing his latest experiment, but to them, it was something more. It was something new, something that, as long as it was successful, would be something that they would treasure forever, and would strengthen their bond, and they would be known about for years to come.

"I'm sure." He sent the scientist a small smile, and he extended his hand out, noting the fear in the scientist's eyes. "This will work." Their hands met, and it was all the reassurance either of them needed. Their gazed remained locked, even after their hands separated, even as he stepped back into the machine, and the door slid closed. His eyes slipped closed, knowing the light would be too bright for his eyes to handle.

The light filled the machine, and he took a deep breath, waiting for the light to turn off, and the whirring to stop. He was unsure of what would be waiting on the other side, or how he would explain anything to any of them. Of course, they should know what the machine was, and that it worked, since it would have happened in the past for them.

The light shut off, and the machine silenced. He heard the pressure be released, and his eyes fluttered open. His heart leaped in his chest, and he swallowed harshly, trying to ignore the increasing anxiety he felt over opening the door. He knew it couldn't be that bad, he knew it would be fine, and he'd let them know it worked, and he'd be able to go home, and celebrate.

As he pushed the door open, and the smell of rotten meat, and feces filtered into his nostrils. The smell was enough to make him gag, and he had to force himself out of the small chamber.

START OF DEATH DESCRIPTION

Just meters away, lay a pile of corpses. All of which looked to be the scientists in the lab, none looked like the one he was sent here by. Their skin was a blue-green, and blood pooled around their feet, most had been mixed together, due to their positioning. Their once white clothes, were now covered in blood, dirt, and feces. Their fingernails were faded, and their fingers looked more blue than the rest of their skin. He didn't have to go over to them to know that they were cold.

END OF DEATH DESCRIPTION

As he tore his gaze away from the pile of death, he noticed one word in bright red lettering, contrasting from the pale colouring of the wall. "SORRY." He didn't need to inspect it to know it was written with blood, he didn't need to look around to know there would be more bodies. He turned to the machine, he had to get back and warn everyone, and they would have to try and figure out how to stop it from happening. He looked the machine up and down, and saw it was ruined.

Wires stuck out all over the place, and the control pad had been smashed. He reached out a hand and traced some of the jagged edges of glass. How was he supposed to fix this, when he had no idea how it was made in the first place?

"Don't even think about trying to go back." A familiar voice spoke from behind him. He turned to the voice, and his stomach dropped. Stood in front of him, was the scientist who sent him, the scientist who also happened to be his boyfriend, and he held a gun.

"Why?" Despite not feeling confident, his words came out strong enough, and didn't waver.

"Because." The gun in his hand shook slightly. "Nothing you can do will save us. It will all go wrong. He will still come in the middle of the night and destroy the machine, and if he doesn't, you will all get murdered trying to stop him."

"Who is 'he'?"

"The enemy, the one who was trying to build the machine first. There are so many times that we have tried to rectify the issue, and all of them end the same way. I sent people back to try and stop it, and they always come back to this. We will never be able to stop it, and we will all die."

"Why the gun? Surely it's all over now?"

"It will never be over, so long as at least one of us is alive. He set off a radioactive component, and it is affecting the entire city, and as soon as we are all wiped out, he will restart everything, and it will be his way. We cannot stop him. We tried."

"But, I have to warn..."

"Past me? There is no point, he already knows, he just hoped sending you here would change things. He knows because you've been gone for too long, he already knows, he would come here, but he knows it's pointless."

"But, we never got to say goodbye."

"He did. The way he looked at you, the way he held you, they were all his ways of saying goodbye. You taking the chance on coming through here was your goodbye to him."

"Aren't you still him?"

"Yes and no. I am the Logan you knew yesterday, he's still me, but, I changed, and when the sun rises tomorrow for him, he will change too. The old Logan has been left behind. Virgil, you have done so much for me. I am sorry it came to this. Just know, I love you."

The gun shook in his hand, and Virgil met his gaze. "I love you too." With those words, Logan pulled the trigger, and the bullet buried it's way into Virgil's heart, stopping his pulse for good.

- 24 hours earlier -

Logan paced around the lab, waiting for Virgil to reappear, he knew he shouldn't have sent him, it was too risky. He was going to die.

-

As the sun rose, Logan felt something shift in him, and he sighed, this was it. He made his way to the lab, and there he saw the pile of bodies. The gun sat in his pocket, and he waited for his boyfriend to show up.

It pained him to have to pull the trigger, but he did it anyway. He saw the life drain out of his lover's eyes, and he watched as time decayed his body.

Logan picked up the gun he dropped, and placed the barrel against his head. It was worth it.

He pulled the trigger, and the bullet landed in his brain. Instantly, he died, where he would be reunited with Virgil.

1137 words

Hope you enjoyed
Take care
xx