Escape (Analogical)

Edited, but please point out any errors

T.W. Mentions of Abuse, Bullying, Self-harm, Skipping meals, and Death. (Nothing explicit or anything. It mentions it and then kind of moves on. There's one long paragraph that's sad/angsty, but you don't have to read it to understand the rest.)

It says something about you as a person when you go to school to escape home, but you know both places are as bad as each other.

Logan never had any friends, and he found it hard to open up to anyone, especially after he lost his only friend when they found someone better. Of course he wasn't bitter, he had no reason to be, he wasn't good enough, so he would be replaced no matter what. He was just the nerd, whereas Roman was the popular, sporty guy, and when Roman came out as gay, he had even more attention than before. Logan wasn't really sure why there was the influx of attention, Roman's ego didn't need it, but what did Logan know? He was just the nerdy kid that sat in the back and didn't belong.

He would watch Roman and his boyfriend do whatever in the field at lunch, or whisper cheesey things to one another thinking they couldn't be heard in the library. Often, Logan craved that, he craved for someone to show that they loved him, and he wanted someone to show him that he mattered, and he didn't have to feel like a nobody. He wanted a best friend, and he knew he wouldn't ever get one.

Roman was known for his ability to strip someone of their social power, and put someone else in their place. He was the 'king' of the high school, and Logan found it ludicrous that a teenager could hold that much power over others, but who was he to complain, when he fell into the same role they expected him to. They expected him to sit quiet, say nothing, and work. They expected him to have no friends, and to be taken advantage of. He didn't want it. He wanted to be able to do whatever, go wherever, and be whoever he wanted to be. But, he wasn't allowed, he wouldn't escape his past in the school, or his homelife.

He wasn't one to complain, he knew he had it good compared to others, but when he went home and ate nothing more than a tin of pasta and sauce, or came home to his father fuming because he wasn't home fast enough... He had every right to complain.

It wasn't until the new kid started that he realised that maybe he was worthy of a friend, and that he didn't have to be at the bottom of the social ladder.

Virgil was the new kid, and he stood out against everyone. He wore all dark clothing, and his hair was jet black. He wore flawless makeup, and he looked visually appealing.

Logan wasn't fast enough in talking to him though. Roman and his group of idiots swept him away as soon as he walked in the door. He should have known it would happen, they wanted to make the best first impression so they could decide where he would sit. Because they had the final say in everything.

-

Virgil knew what these kids were like, they were the populars, and they weren't the good kind. They'd sweep you up, and one wrong move and you'd be dumped in the trash, along with every other 'low-life student'.

As he walked through the doors, he couldn't help but notice everyone was with someone of 'their kind' other than one person, and Virgil wanted to get to know them, even if it meant he was shunned for it. There must have been a reason why he was all alone, and Virgil was determined to get to know why,

-

The day ended too quickly for Logan's liking, but all he could think about was trying to get to talk to the new kid. They were sharing almost every class, and they sat near to one another, but Logan couldn't build up the courage to talk to him. Then again, it's not like he'd ever managed to talk to anyone before. He spoke to the teachers when he had to, and only then, because he didn't want to be ridiculed more than he alreday was.