chapter 12

Bella

"Thanks for stopping by, have a great evening ma'am" I Said with a smile as I handed the bag of sugar cookies to the middle aged woman in front of me. I was filling in for jasmine, the girl behind the counter as she was sick that day. I'm glad I did though because I needed a break from the kitchen.

Just as I took a seat on the stool, the door bursted open and in walked yet another customer, I was getting ready to curse under my breath but when I saw who it was, I couldn't help but smile, why? I don't know, and I don't care to know either, it was just...pleasing seeing him walk in with that same old smile.

"Hey Bells" he grinned widely as he stood in front of me, with the counter showcasing the treats between us.

"Hi...uh, what are you doing here?" I Asked.

"I wanted to get some cheesecake,"

"We only make cheesecakes on Thursday's"

"Why not everyday?"

"That's beyond my knowledge"

"Geez Bella You could've simply said 'I don't know' there was no need to sound like a forty years old English lecturer" Emily's voice chirped as she walked out of the kitchen, joining Jesse and i. He chuckled at her words while I just playfully glared at her.

"You Remind me so much of Beans" Jesse said to her.

Emily furrowed her eyebrows "Beans? That's pretty ironic because I actually dislike all sorts of Beans, especially kidney beans, I-"

"He means Marcus Rashford, Emily" I pointed out, which seemed to be embarrassing as she quickly stopped talking and formed an 'O' with her mouth. Jesse of course, was laughing once again.

"I'm...gonna go cut the cookies out" she said and quickly scrabble back to the kitchen to cut cookies as she claimed, but I saw right through her, she was just embarrassed and made a run for it.

"So... you want anything else as a replacement? We have many new things for you try" I offered.

"Yeah I've actually fallen in love with these," he pointed to the tray of semolina cake at the far end "What are they?"

"They're called basbousas, revani or harissa. It's a Middle Eastern sweet cake made with semolina, coconut and soaked in sugar syrup" I explained.

"Is it your recipe?" He asked.

"No, Banan came up with it, she's a baker too" I replied "mine is the diez leches," I pointed towards it, there were actually just 10 slices left, and I made like MANY. It is one of the best selling cakes in the bakery, followed by Emily's Japanese hot milk cake and banan's basbousas. My diez leches comes in squares, slices and a whole.

"10 types of milk in one cake?" He asked with widened eyes.

"Yep! You get Soy milk, Almond milk, Coconut milk, Cow milk, Oat Milk, Whole milk, Goat milk, Condensed milk, Evaporated milk and Buttermilk, all in one cake" I smiled "and the topping is made with cream and chocolate milk, so if you look at it, it's more of a doce leches cake"

"And how much for a slice?"

"£25"

"I'll take 10 slices please"