Finally

I sigh, relieved, as I watch my father finally get dragged into the back of a police car.

"Thank fuck for that," I mutter, walking back into the house where Camila is waiting for me. The police needed her to stay so she could tell them what happened and, to be honest, I'm grateful for that too.

"He's getting what he deserves." She says, leaning against the wall of the hallway.

"Yeah." I shrug, heading into the kitchen, "He'll be out within a month."

"Wha- why?" She stammers, following behind me as my parents close the front door behind themselves.

I turn on my heels and send her a look before shrugging.

"It's happened before." I explain, "They just let him off Scot-free, every time."

She frowns, watching as I pour us both a glass of water, "That's not fair."

"Neither is life." I retort, "But you should probably know that by now. I don't even... How old are you?"

"23." She answers with a chuckle.

"And you've already been married?" I question, handing her the glass of water before taking a sip of my own.

"I was 19 and thought I was in love." She shrugs, drinking a few gulps. I notice a blush grow on her cheeks as I observe her.

"You're blushing." I point out, "Are you embarrassed?"

She lets out a small, nervous laugh, "I... I guess. It's not every day the girl I like is so curious about the guy I loved."

"Aw," I coo, teasingly, "You like me?"

"Stop!" She complains, growing an even deeper shade of red.

I smile as I drink the rest of my water, winking at her when I'm done.

"Yeah." She says through a grin of her own, "I do like you. I hope that's okay."

"That's cute." I hear a third voice say from within the room, and we both look over to see both my parents standing there with smiles on their faces.

"Oh my god." I groan, "Can't you guys just leave?"

Camila laughs, setting her glass down on the side before moving over to my parents.

"I don't think I've properly introduced myself." She explains, holding her hand out to my Mama first, "I'm Camila."

"And you're 23?" Mama asks with a slightly narrow-eyed expression.

"I- I am." Camila stutters, freezing in place.

Mama looks over at me and I shake my head at her, telling her to let it go. Thankfully, she puts on a smile and nods.

"It's nice to meet you, Camila. I'm (whoever you were imagining for 'Mama')."

Camila grins, shaking her hand and moving on to my Mom who says the same.

I sigh a breath of relief when Camila returns to my side, and she sends me a dorky grin before it fades away.

"Are we good?" She frowns, making my heart melt.

After hearing her truth, who am I to say no?