1.2

Danielle -April 2018

The next day, I woke up to the sound of the waves crashing against the sand. I love the ocean.

"Good morning." Sarah said as she made eggs for the both of us. "This is the only thing I know how to cook, so we may just go out to eat. I do not want to eat eggs every day."

I chuckled and sat down on the barstool.

"So..."

"So...?" I shrugged as I struggled to get what she was hinting at.

She gave me a look. 

"What?"

"Has Trayce called you or anything? That's his name, right? He put his number on the back of the poster."

"No." I huffed. "Like I said, he was probably being super friendly. No big deal. And that was his jersey number, not his actual phone number. Please don't start this now. I want to enjoy my morning."

"Okay..." She mouthed and went back to stirring the eggs.

My phone started ringing, showing a number I didn't recognize. I figured it was a solicitor so I answered it, preparing my signature salutation.

"Katie's Whore House..." I thought. No, now's not the time to be a smartass. It could be my professor. That wouldn't be good.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Oh, hi. Is this Danielle?"

"Uh, yeah. Who's this?"

"It's Trayce... Trayce Thompson. I don't know if you remember me. We met yesterday at the game."

I looked at Sarah with a confused look on my face, then shifted to a wide eyed face. She cocked her head to the side.

"Who is it?" She whispered.

"Trayce..." I mouthed.

"Put it on speaker! Put it on speaker!" She flailed excitedly and leaned in to hear the conversation, totally ignoring the eggs that were on the stove.

I put it on speaker. "How did you get my number...?"

"Remember last night when that player asked for your phone to find his phone?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well I told him to ask if he can use your phone to call my phone, so I could save your number."

"Wow." I chuckled. "That's smooth." 

"Yeah." He chuckled. "What are you doing today?"

"Uh... nothing today. Just hanging out with my friend."

"Oh, well I was wondering if you wanted to go to lunch with me?"

"Oh, uh..." I looked up at Sarah. 

"Go on! Do it! Do it!" She said as she waived around the plastic spatula that was in her hand.