8.8

Trayce -December 2018

My eyes fluttered open as the brightness from the outside drapes peeked into the bedroom. I could see the snow falling down from the window, and it seemed so peaceful. I heard rustling coming from the middle of the bed. Chewy must be awake. He slowly crept towards me, as I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep. Please don't make me go out in this cold weather. I carefully peeked open one eye, to see him right in my face with his head cocked to the side. Now he really knew I was up.

I sighed as I rolled over to my other side, and saw that Danielle was still fast asleep. I smiled as little snores escaped from her here and there. I smiled and leaned in and gently placed a kiss on her forehead, as I got up to let an excited Chewy out to go potty. I quietly walked to open the bedroom door, and accidentally stepped on one of his chew toys, as it made a loud, high pitched squeaking noise. I cringed and slowly turned around to see if she woke up. I sighed in relief as she didn't even flinch.

As I was getting my coat and shoes and Chewy's leash, I gazed around her apartment and admired how it was decorated. There were a few framed pictures that were standing upright on the fireplace mantle. They probably had to have been from high school, as she looked younger before she matured. She was wearing a dark blue cap and gown, standing outside in some sort of nature setting. Her hair was straightened and down to her mid back. There was a man in black in white that seemed as though if he were transparent. He had his arm around her, while she was holding her diploma in her hand. Then it dawned on me; that was her father. A rush of emotion came through me as it sent a powerful message, that his spirit was there with her in that time. That's just awesome, that the photographers were able to do that and make it so real.

"Don't you worry, Mr. Underwood. I'm taking care of her just fine." I smiled lightly as Chewy nudged my leg, breaking my gaze.

"Come on. The faster you hurry up and go, the faster I can go back inside."

I returned a few minutes later, and couldn't wait to go back inside. He took forever, and did nothing but stand there and smell the air. I wiped my feet on the doormat, and opened the door to go back inside as I saw Danielle in the kitchen making coffee. My shirt was down to her knees, as it was 3 sizes too big for her.

"Good morning, beautiful." I smiled as I gave a light peck on her lips.

"Good morning." She smiled.

"I'm surprised you're not sleeping. I figured at least until 9:30." I chuckled. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." She sighed and leaned up against the island. "My instructor just emailed and said that I'm still going to be in next year's group. He saw how upset I was about it, and told me that I deserve to be in that group, because of the potential he sees in me."

"That's wonderful! I knew you were going to be fine."

"Yeah. It was just the fact that I botched it. I never used to do that."

"All of the stress didn't help either. I'm just so glad to hear that you made it."

"Yeah, me too. I don't want to think about school, or even see my instrument right now. I'm on vacation mode."

"You deserve it. How are you feeling?"

"Cramps are killing me. I feel like I'm dying."

"Well, go climb back under the covers where it's warm. It's freaking cold out there. I almost froze my balls off waiting for him to do his business."

"You have to be patient with him. He likes to dilly-dally around."

I smiled as I grabbed her waist and gently pulled her close to me, and engulfed her in a big hug.

"You have no idea how happy I am you're here."

"Did I surprise you yesterday?"

"Yes. I wasn't expecting it at all. You got me good."

I smiled and gently placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Did you want any coffee?"

"Do you have hot chocolate?"

"I do."

"I better lay off the coffee for a while. The caffeine sometimes gives me jitters."

She smiled and handed me the cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream on the top to top it all off.

"What did you want to do today? Besides stay warm."

"I was thinking we could have a movie day, and watch all of the Christmas movies? I have a tradition that I do every Christmas."

"Sounds good to me."

She smiled as we both sat down on the couch. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and Chewy jumped up on the couch and plopped down in my lap. She smiled as she rested her head my shoulder.

We first decided to watch 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', and the list continues from 'The Polar Express' and 'A Christmas Story' and my personal favorite, 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

"Do you smell that?" She asked, as she was sniffing the air. "Chewy, did you fart? We need to lay off the treats for a while."

"Yeah, because it was totally the dog that farted..." I chuckled nervously.

"Trayce!" She chuckled and gently pushed my arm. "You nasty."

"Can I have a kiss?" I asked as I puckered my lips.

She leaned in and pecked my lips as I gently scratched Chewy behind the ears.