8.1

Trayce -December 2018

I touched down in Denver this afternoon. The cold winter air hit me like a ton of bricks when I stepped off the plane. Today is the day of Danielle's concert, and I absolutely can't wait to hear and see what they've accomplished.

I carpooled with Danielle's mom and her grandma as they drove to downtown Denver to Boettcher Hall, where the performance was going to be held. It didn't start until 7. It was 6:00, and the place was starting to fill up already.

"So how have you been, Trayce?" Her mom asked.

"I'm very good, Mrs. Under—Janet." I chuckled. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks for asking. How was the baseball season for you?"

"It was good until I got injured back in July. I have two fractured vertebrae in my back, so I was out for the remainder of the season."

"Oh no! That's terrible! How are you feeling now?"

"It varies between days. The doctor prescribed me cortisone shots to take when the pain is bad. A needle in the back isn't so fun after a while."

She cringed. "Ouch. I bet!"

"Are those for Dani?" Her grandma asked, pointing to the bouquet of red roses I bought to give to her at the end of the concert.

"Yes ma'am." I smiled. "To give to her when the concert is over."

"Jan, she got a good one."

I chuckled as I looked down at the floor, then shifted my gaze to the stage. We were on the highest level, and had an amazing view of everything down below on the stage. Everything was set up on stage, and had a few people warming up already.

"I'm sure glad that you were able to make it to Danielle's concert. She wanted everyone to come and support her. This was her dream to be able to perform with the Colorado Symphony. Was the weather bad when you flew in?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. I know how much it means to her." I smiled. "Not really. It was snowing lightly when I landed, but there weren't any delays or anything."

"That's good."

I looked over to the doorway into the hallway area, and saw Mykee file in, along with Joc and Corey. Danielle knows about Mykee coming, but not Joc and Corey. I thought I'd surprise her.

"Hi everyone." Mykee smiled as he greeted her mom and grandma.

"Ms. Janet and Ms. Juanita, this is my brother, Mychel."

"Pleasure to meet the both of you." He smiled and shook their hands. "Klay couldn't make it, unfortunately. He had a game in Boston. He told me to tell her good luck." He smiled.