A TALK WITH MJ

Peter was minding his own business, swinging around in the night sky of Queens, when he saw someone sitting cross-legged on the roof of an abandoned building, quite near the ledge. Normally the only people he would spot around the place were setting up drug dens so he decided to get a closer look at the person. The sky was too dark to make out their features and the street lights weren't bright enough to make a difference.

When he moved closer he realized it was none other than Michelle Jones. She was just sitting there with her sketchbook rested on her knee, drawing the view, with a snack on her backpack so she didn't skip dinner. Her curly brown hair was tied back into her usual ponytail to stop it becoming messy from the winds and partly because she couldn't be bothered to do anything else in the mornings. 

Who had time to plait your hair when you could be eating breakfast like a normal human being?

He decided to go talk to her but remembered to ask KAREN to slightly alter his voice, making it deeper, in an attempt to remain unnamed. He took a deep breath and slowly walked over to her from one end of the roof to the other, hoping not to blow it "Are you sure it's safe to be up here ma'am?" 

"Seriously? Since when do you call me ma'am?" She snorted and didn't bother taking her eyes off of her art. She didn't want to mess up by accidentally drawing a line across it.

"Have we met before?" He asked, the only time he could remember crossing paths with her in the suit was back when the rest of the Decathlon got trapped in a broken elevator.Even then he was pretty sure he had called her something along the lines of ma'am anyway.

"Come on Peter, there's no way in hell you can fool me." MJ rolled her eyes and shook her head, still sketching out the city of Queen's on her page.

"P-P-Peter? Who's-" He stuttered but couldn't manage to finish his sentence before Michelle cut him off.

"You always seem to disappear whenever Spider-Man is off fighting crime elsewhere, you've all of a sudden gotten muscles hidden beneath those baggy jumpers you're so fond of and seem to of miraculously received a so-called 'internship' with Tony Stark out of nowhere," She didn't look up from her book but knew that Peters jaw had dropped "Also I saw you climb into your apartment while in your suit one time, not exactly smooth Parker."

He groaned in frustration, he really had to be more cautious at the end of his patrols "Yeah yeah, you win MJ," KAREN deactivated the voice alteration as her owner shuffled closer to his friend "But seriously, what are you doing up here?" He felt almost certain the roof would fall under the slightest amount of weight.

"I like this place. It's quiet up here," She closed her sketchbook and placed it next to her bag " I like being alone here."

Peter smiled to himself beneath the mask as the distant girl opened up to him, out of her character.

"So every evening I grab my backpack and climb up the ladder I found to my own place away from everything," She sighed and gently rested her head onto his shoulder "I get to be left in peace for once."

"Then why haven't you kicked me off the roof then?" Peter hesitated to wonder if his next action would get him killed then cautiously rested his own head onto hers.

"Because you didn't ask me why I like being alone like i'm a freak, you just listen," She huddled closer to his side to stay warm in the cold winds, at least that was what she was telling herself. "Even if you are still a loser." She elbowed him playfully and grinned to herself.

Peter didn't answer, instead put his arm around her shoulders and let her rest her head on his chest. She was probably only doing that because of the in built heater, though.

"You make stupid science puns that make me want to hit my head against the table repeatedly," She continued, smiling as she felt the movement through his body at his chuckle "You ask how I am, don't use violence against Flash even though you could easily take him out with your little finger. You just let him talk

She looked up his face and wondered what it looked like at that moment beneath the mask "You asked if I was safe up here instead of swinging back home to sleep. You decided to approach me and you're still listening to me now. Why? What am I doing that's worth you staying here with me?" She frowned and put her own arms around his torso in case he'd run away from her

"You're being you, that's always enough for me." 

A/N

[PUBLISHED 24/11/2018]

[FIRST EDIT 19/02/2019]

Just a quick edit, yes i'm still doing this seriously out of order. I wanted to correct a few grammar mistakes, add more detail and remove some cringe. I am far from done on the last part but i'll get there one day. 

Now back to the scheduled A/N!

So i tried to make a MJ x Peter one shot but i suck at writing stuff only about ships so this is the best i could do.

I want to include MJ in more stories since she's such a cool character so you can look out for that soon.

As always, if you see a mistake let me know or if you have a request comment on the chapter and/or message me.