REUNITED (AND IT FEEELS SO GOOOOOOD)

His heart stopped. 

Peter was there, a small distance from him. He had swung through the portal and joined the final fight, giving it everything he had. Tony couldn't stop fighting either, even pausing for a moment in shock when he saw Peter almost cost him his head, so he was forced to wait. 

He waited until T'Challa used the stones to destroy Thanos and his army, his suit absorbing the energy. He waited until everyone was safe and the medics were rushing to the injured. There were few casualties, only a few broken bones and bruises, while Natasha was at another location in a coma. Thank god they had her transferred out of the building, she would of been as flat as a pancake underneath heaps of rubble if they hadn't taken the precaution.

When the battle had completely died down, Clint raced off to the Quinjet and flew with Bruce at his side, off to visit Natasha. Tony had never seen Clint fly it at that speed, but didn't say a word about safety worries for a few reasons. Firstly, he doubted they'd listen, and secondly, he was Tony fucking Stark. The word 'safety' wasn't in his vocabulary.

That action seemed to prompt pairs reuniting, siblings, family and friends meeting each other after five years of grief. All around the world, families would become one again and the damage caused by Thanos would slowly start to heal, the wound stitch itself up, even if it stung like hell.

Tony immediately headed towards where Peter was crouched on the ground, the kid trying to catch his breath and take in his surroundings. When he was in earshot, he whispered "Peter", knowing that the kids heightened hearing would catch it, while not drawing any unwanted attention from the others.

Peter scrambled to his feet, turning to face his mentor with an excited look on his face, and stayed still while Tony slowly walked towards him "Mr Stark! It was crazy, I woke up on Titan and Mr Strange was all like, 'it's been five years, let's go, they need us' and I was like-"

He didn't finish his sentence, his words faltering when Tony pulled him into a hug. Peter wasn't sure how to react at first, his body not moving for a few seconds but eventually returned the hug, wrapping his arms around Tony's torso "Oh, this is nice."

Tony let out a small chuckle, pulling Peter closer to him and resting his chin on the kids shoulder. He smiled when he heard him mumble "So this is what a hug is". Of course Peter would make jokes minutes after he returned from the dead.

He let Peter go, keeping his hands on the teenagers shoulders, and gave a sad smile "Don't you ever die on me again or so help me, I will set your Aunt May and Pepper on you." Tony squeezed Peter's right shoulder. It was hard for him to believe that, after five years without him and five years of the kids final words haunting his dreams, he was alive.

"I'll try not to Mr Stark." Peter gave his mentor another hug. When he was told by Dr Strange that he had died years ago, leaving everyone behind, he knew that Mr Stark would be beating himself up about it. He had once been told, that if he died then the blame would fall on Tony, the main reason he had said he was sorry before crumbling to dust.

"I'm going to hold you to that."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

That night Peter stayed at the Compound, May sleeping in the room next to him. He had asked Tony if he could, wanting to feel safe, and could sense that Stark didn't want him out of his sights throughout the day. When he sat down on the plane, Mr Stark sat next to him, and when he started to fall asleep, Tony made sure Peter was leaning on his shoulder with an arm around the kid for comfort. Who he was trying to comfort, he could not tell.

At two-forty five in the morning, Peter shot up in bed, gasping for air. He grasped at his chest, his hand clinging onto the baggy shirt he had found in the wardrobe, and tried to blink the tears out of his eyes. He had felt his body falling to dust again, the pain burning through his body as he re-lived his death.

He was concentrating on his heart beat, convincing himself that he was very much alive, and didn't hear his door creak open. It wasn't until he heard someone whisper "Kid?", that he looked up.

Tony was standing in the doorway, a small shadow of light from the hall sneaking into the bedroom from the crack in the door. When he saw Peter, crying, hunched over and struggling to control his breathing, he pushed himself into the room, the door clicking shut behind him, and sat down on the bed. 

"Hey, come here," He opened his arms, cradling Peter in a hug and rested a hand in the kids hair. Tony comforted him until the sobs became quieter and the ragged breaths were controlled "I've got you, kiddo, I'm here."

Peter listened to the two heartbeats in the room. He was alive, they both were, and they were finally safe. He'd admit, he had no idea how long that peace would last and what chaos would undoubtedly ensue in the future, but he did his best not to think about that.

"Thank you." His voice was soft, you could hear the tremble through Peter's words.

"What for?" Tony replied at the same tone. He couldn't see the teenagers face thanks to the room being so dark, but from the miniscule damp patch on his shirt, he'd hazard a guess and say he was in tears. Stark didn't exactly blame the kid, he'd risen from the dead just hours ago.

"Everything."

A/N

[PUBLISHED 16/11/19]

Yep, still working on about three long-ish chapters but decided to finish this old draft in the meantime.

Also, I need to add this, but holy mother forking shirt balls, thank you all so much for 40.1K reads! It's honestly insane, I'm so grateful that people are actually enjoying this shit that I write.

Gotta go, I have a job interview at three, so I should start getting ready  :)