THE SPIDER THAT BRIGHTENED HER LIFE

To most people, Michelle Jones was an utter mystery.

The person who she thought had known her best was her English teacher from pre school, he may as well of been a mind reader. He knew whenever she was in a bad mood from the small things she did, not even her own parents could do that. 

One time when she had forgotten her lunch she was too stubborn to ask her 'friends' for a small snack but he had noticed, passing her half of his sandwich. Michelle had, however, gone back to her old closed off self when he had an unexpected heart attack in her final year at that school.

She still had one of the old drawings of him she had done framed on her wall next to one of her more recent sketches of him, drawn from memory.

Michelle wasn't close to her parents in the slightest. Maybe it was because they worked late into the night and never had an interest in having a child. At least when they went to sleep immediately after returning from their jobs they had no time to argue or make remarks about her looks.

At Midtown Michelle had aimed to stay solitary and keep her head down, just focus on her work. All she wanted was to get good grades, move out into her own apartment and find a writing for newspapers. She wasn't one to wish for fame or wealth. Michelle knew she'd be perfectly content with a stable paycheck and a regular sized apartment.

But when she met Peter Parker something inside her changed.

Somehow (MJ suspected witchcraft) he managed to get her to talk about her feelings after only a month of calling himself her friend and didn't even mock her for it. Not when she admitted things at home weren't 'peachy', when she came close to tears while talking about her last friend all those years ago or when he noticed her notebook was open on a sketch of him. He just gave her a small smile and said "If you ever want to talk, i'm always here for you".

He may of been surprised when she next went to him but not as surprised as she was herself.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

She wasn't exactly shocked when an injured Spider-Man turned up on her doorstep and revealed himself to be none other than Peter. He wasn't the best at keeping secrets while she was the self named master.

Michelle just brought him to her room (on the off chance her parents came home early) and used her first aid kit to patch him up, sarcastically scolding him. He smirked through his wince and fiddled with his mask while she stitched up the long gash on his side. 

That night they chatted, after he called his Aunt May to tell her he was working on a last minute project with a friend, and she may of accidentally on purpose fallen asleep next to him on her small sofa. You can't prove it though.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Peter had been spending a lot of his time at his 'internship' but always managed to section off part of his day to message or call MJ. When he did he'd ask FRIDAY to block anyone from listening (knowing all too well that the building was full of ex-spies, assassins and all-round nosy people) and he locked the door to his room behind him.

One particular day, Michelle had gotten into a massive fight with her parents on their day off and, after storming off with a packed bag for the last time, she called up Peter. She hadn't realized he wasn't at his apartment, instead in the Avenger's Tower or that it had been Stark to pick up the phone on loudspeaker, much to Peter's annoyance.

"Peter, I need to stay at your place for a while, my parents kicked me out for real this time," She sighed and sat at the bus stop. There was one that went down the route to his apartment block in around thirty minutes and she had just enough money for a ticket "I just really need to talk to you." She lightly hit her head against the clear plastic wall behind her and waited for his response.

On the other end Peter snatched up his phone, took it off loudspeaker and ran to his room, away from Bruce and Tony whom he had been spending time with. In his rush he forgot to tell FRIDAY to block any eavesdroppers, much to Tony's delight "I'm not at the apartment right now, i'm at the Tower but you can come over."

"What?" Michelle's head shot up "I'm so sorry Peter, I can ask Ned-"

"No-no-no-no-no, it's okay. I'll be back at the apartment tonight but you can just hang out with me here until then," Peter panicked, he hadn't meant to make it sound like he was turning her away and he didn't want her to be alone at that moment "Please?"

"Fine. I'm not sure how i'll get within a hundred feet of the place, but sure." Michelle smiled, picked up her bag from by her feet and started to walk North.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Peter was sitting on the wall a few meters away from the Tower, well aware that Tony was spying on him through the CCTV cameras, and immediately jumped up when he saw the tear stained Michelle walking up to him with a bag on her shoulder. He ran to hug her, glad she didn't punch his stomach for the human contact, and she wrapped her arms around him for a moment.

He carried her bag, despite her objection that she could do it herself, and lead her towards the Towers lobby. In the elevator ride up to the thirty-second floor, at some point, Michelle broke down again and Peter put his arms around her comfortingly.

When the doors opened they went to room that he spent every other weekend in and this time Peter remembered to turn off all cameras that Tony might try to hack, leaving the two in peace. 

She explained what had happened, describing the things her parents had called her that were so bad Peter's jaw was left on the floor permanently. When she started to cry again, he passed her tissues, and did his best to be there for her.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Tony was too nosy for his own good and after an hour of waiting he decided to go poke his nose where it wasn't welcome. He knocked on Peter's door and it was opened after a few moments, during that time he heard voices and shuffling in the room.

The door opened to reveal Peter holding the handle and a brown haired girl sitting on his bed, holding a game controller "Yes, Mr Stark?" At the sound of the billionaires name, Michelle's eyebrows rose but she didn't move her eyesight from the TV.

"Do you mind introducing me to your friend there?" He smirked and earned an irritated sigh from the little Spider.

"Mr Stark meet Michelle, Michelle meet the most annoying person in this entire Tower. Now leave." Peter slammed the door in Tony's face and went back to sit next to MJ. She failed to hide her grin and didn't complain when Peter slid an arm around her waist. Michelle just flicked his ear in response and killed his character in the video game.

But he just grinned like a fool because he knew he was one of the few who understood the mystery of Michelle Jones and she didn't mind.

A/N

[PUBLISHED 17/04/2019]

One of the longer one's.

Heads up, I won't be doing two parters after the 'IRONDAD 2/2' is released, there'll be longer chapters instead.

I'm still taking requests. If you have one then leave a comment on the most recent upload or privately message me. When the story is published you'll be tagged, unless you request not to be.

Thank you for reading, I type that out a lot (every chapter) but I really do mean it. This is one of my favorite hobbies and helps me cope with stress. I'm just glad someone else can enjoy it too.

I'll see you all in the next one!