PETERS MEDICATION

WARNING: THEMES OF DEPRESSION, DO NOT READ IF THIS MAY BE TRIGGERING. I AM ALSO NOT AN EXPERT SO DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, PLEASE DO RESEARCH IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON WRITING ABOUT THIS OR HELPING A FRIEND SUFFERING WITH DEPRESSION. ALL INFORMATION USED IS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, OTHER ONE SHOTS I HAVE READ (AND TRUST) AND ALSO GOOGLE.

Peter sighed and put the small orange pot of pills back into the medicine cabinet above the bathroom sink. He didn't want any of his friends to find them in his room when hanging out or Shuri when she video called him. He liked keeping his anti-depressant's a secret from everyone (including his Aunt May) to avoid sympathetic looks or being treated like the most fragile sheet of glass in the world. Peter had had enough of that after Uncle Ben had died, he was supposed to be Spider-Man for Christs sake.

He felt slightly sleepy after taking his medication, but that was nothing new, yet still dressed for school in his usual nerdy attire. Peter packed his bag for the day, stole a slice of toast for breakfast out of the toaster after being playfully swatted away by May and rode his old second-hand bought bike to Midtown School. He passed a few classmates on the way and for once waved to them instead of ignoring their existence. Peter was taken aback when they grinned and waved back to him.

After locking it up in the school's bike shed, he found Ned at his locker stuffing his maths folders and exercise books in. Ned had decorated the door to his locker with the few odd vintage Star Wars stickers from Christmas and, of course, a few faded insults Flash had scribbled in felt tip last week. They had tried to wipe it off but some letters stubbornly stayed behind so they just gave up.

"Hey Ned!" Peter greeted his friend as cheerfully as he possibly could and surprised Ned.

"Peter! You're finally back!" Ned beamed and playfully punched Peters shoulder before closing his locker, dropping the key in his hoodies pocket.

"Yeah, May finally let me out after I convinced her my cold was completely gone. It only took me a few hours." Peter walked to their Chemistry class with Ned by his side, chatting on the way.

Ned rolled his eyes, it had been more than a cold but Peter refused to ever admit he was seriously sick. He'd only go home if he was pale, shivering and coughing uncontrollably. Or dead.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Ned had been invited back to the small apartment after school finished for dinner with the two Parker's and to work through the mountain of homework Mr Johnson had assigned them for the next day. They worked for a while until Aunt May called them from the kitchen that the food was ready. Peter had excused himself to clean the pen off of his hand a few minutes ago and May was already piling the plates with food. Ned told her he was going to find him in case he got sidetracked

He walked down the hallway to the bathroom where the door was slightly ajar and Ned looked into the room. Peter had twisted opened a small pot of prescription pills and swallowed a single dose of the medication. He then gently placed it back into the cabinet, careful to not make a noise, and turned on the tap faucet to wash his hands.

Ned backed away from the open door, thankful Peter hadn't turned around to see him, and slowly shuffled to the kitchen to sit back down. He smiled sheepishly at May, telling her Peter had finished washing his hands and that he wouldn't be long.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

May had been working late for a few days and didn't like the thought of Peter being left alone in the apartments for a full on week so she quickly called Stark before her first shift. Of course he told her he would be happy to take care of her nephew and sent Happy to pick the kid up after school finished to bring him straight to the compound.

Peter had luckily remembered to put his antidepressants under the multiple textbooks in his backpack and Flash had been off sick, meaning there had been no chance his bag and all its contents being tipped onto the floor. The ride to the compound was, as usual, in silence on Happy's part but this time Peter didn't ramble on about his day. He was too exhausted to speak and almost dozed off in the backseat.

Happy insisted on carrying the kids bag, knowing that if Peter had he would of definitely dropped it, and guided the teenager towards Stark's new lab. The last one he was told had exploded. Twice. In one day.

Again.

Before leaving the two to work on the new web shooters, Happy leaned over and quietly whispered to Tony that Peter seemed slightly off and to keep a close eye on him. Tony nodded, noticing how tired the kid was and how his eyes kept darting back to his backpack.

"You okay there kiddo?"

"Don't worry Mr Stark, i'm just a little tired that's all. I'll be fine."

They worked for almost an hour until Tony noticed Peter discreetly slip something out his bag and into the pocket of his jeans then excuse himself to the toilet. Once Peter left, Stark asked JARVIS to alert him of what he was doing, not wanting to immediately go to the cameras just in case it was embarrassing.

'Sir, Mr Parker seems to be taking a normal dosage of antidepressants called Serotonin.'

Tony was concerned to say the least, why had Peter never told him or Bruce that? He had hidden his depression for who knows how long and still managed to act bubbly most of the time.

He never confronted Peter. It technically wasn't his business but after then he volunteered to look after Peter more, alerting May secretly of the situation, and made sure to care for his underoos.

Slowly but surely, Peter no longer needed to take the medication.

A/N

[PUBLISHED 06/03/2019]

Okay, let me just say (yet again) i am no psychiatrist and have no personal experience with taking antidepressants. I don't want you to think i'm assuming that all problems go away easily and that people don't still struggle.

If you are experiencing depression or suicidal thought then please go see a professional, if you are under 18 maybe register on Kooth (an online free website where you can contact to a professional) and talk to someone you trust. 

You should never feel ashamed for taking antidepressants and you don't have to hide it. 

If you are feeling suicidal and need someone to talk to and have no one else i will add in a few suicide hotline numbers for the UK. 

Google is always there if you are not a part of the UK, please do seek help.

0800 068 41 41  (UK and for people under 35)

0800 1111 (UK child-line)

0800 4 70 80 90 (UK and for older people)

Of course, if you feel like you might try to kill yourself please do contact your countries emergency services. There's always another way. 

Stay safe.