Twenty Seven

Monday

January 26th, 2015

-

| Luke |

When I step into the room I make my way to the table where the coffee is.

"Hey, Luke right?" A guy asks me and I turn to see a man that looks to be in his mid 30's.

"Yeah." I say.

"Good to meet you. I'm Jensen." I shake his extended hand. "I was sitting next to John there and he asked me if I would come and introduce myself. So you're new to the area?"

"Yeah, I am." I smile.

"That's great, so uh, would you want to sit next to me?" I shrug and make my way over to where he was sitting.

"Hey Luke." John says and I pat his shoulder. The chair person gets everyone's attention before starting to read everything out from the papers he has.

"Is there anyone here coming for the first time or returning?" The guy asks and I raise my hand and he nods to me.

"Hi I'm Luke and I'm an alcoholic." I say and everyone says hi back. "This is my first time to this meeting, I usually go to the morning meetings on Sunday but I found the time to come to this one and I'm glad to be here." I say and everyone thanks me. They send a book around for numbers for me and the meeting begins. It's just a regular meeting where everyone shares after a topic is thrown out.

"So does anyone have a topic?" The guy at the front asks. No one says anything and his eyes travel to me.

"How about you mate?" He asks me and I shrug.

"Uh, fear." I say.

"That's a good one, would you mind starting us off?" He asks me and I shake my head.

"Hi again, I'm Luke and I'm an alcoholic." I say and everyone greets me again. "Uh, the reason I chose this topic is because lately I've been feeling a lot fear. Since I'm new to the program I sometimes worry that some day I'll get a really bad urge and I'll pick up that first drink. But then I remember the reason I'm here in the first place is because I seek the ability to overcome the desire of picking up that drink. I'm aware that many of you sitting here can identify with this fear. But... Uh, I can just say it's not that easy, especially at my age because almost everyone my age is going out and partying with their friends. Don't get me wrong though, since I've been here I've been able to control my urges pretty well but there is this really deep fear of drinking burning inside me and it hit me pretty hard so what I did was got straight in my car and drove here." I explain. "I guess drinking isn't the only thing I really fear. I also just fear myself and I guess what I have the ability to do if I'm not level headed. Before I walked in here and to be honest even now I don't feel very level headed but I think that listening to other people talking about their fears and everything would help me feel like... I don't know. Maybe like I'm not alone, I guess. Thanks." I nod and everyone else around me thanks me and tells me to keep coming.

Jensen shares next after me followed by almost everyone around the room. It was interesting to identify with different people's fears and I was right when I said I needed this meeting.

After the meeting ends and we say a prayer all together people start cleaning up and the chairman gives me the address book that was passed around for me to get people's phone numbers.

"It was great to see you here tonight, Luke." John says clapping his hand on my shoulder. "So do you feel better like you hoped?"

"Yeah I do, thanks. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you something important." I say and he nods. "Uhm, I really don't know who else to ask to be honest, but I have a guy feeling about this. I wanted to ask you if you would be my sponsor."

"Oh." John says. "I think I can do that."

"Yeah?" I ask and he nods. M

"Yeah of course, we can work the steps together as you please. I'd be happy to be your sponsor. You already have my number so that's that." He says. We talk for a little while longer before shaking hands and parting ways.

I say goodbye to a couple of people before getting in my car and sighing. I drive home without the radio on, deciding to take advantage of the silence and clear my mind. I pull up to my house and as I'm walking up the walkway to my door a body collides into me.

"Luke!" Dylan exclaims.

"Dylan?" I ask and she chuckles.

"Uhm, what's up?" I ask. She seems to be better than she was before, which is great.

"I just got bored at home and called Bridget up to see what she was doing but she's busy and so is Dylan and I'm bored I guess." She shrugs.

"So you came here?" She nods and I chuckle. "But your mom."

"Oh, don't worry about her I asked her if I could leave and she was half asleep saying yes. I just told her that I was going to go to Bridget's and I got her to cover for me.

"Okay." I say.

"Are you okay? Where did you go?" She asks me.

"I'm fine just thinking a lot. I went to a meeting, nothing big." I shrug leading her to the front door. "Shit. I left my house key in there." I say trying to turn the handle but it's locked.

"Well you have a spare right?" She asks me.

"Yeah, actually why don't I show it to you, in case of emergency." I say and she nods. I wave her to follow me and I go to the backyard.

"Oh, it looks beautiful." Dylan says looking around.

"Thanks." I smile. "So my spare key is hidden right here." I say lifting up a stone on the patio and she nods. Once we've walked back to the front and unlocked the door I grab my key and put it on my car key ring and return my spare. I find Dylan inside on my couch looking through the movies I have again and chuckle.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask her and she shakes her head. I shrug and put the lamps on and turning on the TV. I surf the channels until I find Spongebob and Dylan laughs.

"You're like a little kid." I look over at her and she smiles at me. I open my arm up to her and she giggles moving right next to me and leaning her head on my shoulder.

I don't even know for how long I was watching spongebob but the next time I look at Dylan she's out cold. I decide I should bring her upstairs. I shut the television off and carefully I pick her up bridal style and her head falls onto my shoulder. I get upstairs and kick my door open and walk Dylan over to the bed setting her down so her head lays on the pillow. After I shut my door I tug my shirt over my head, tossing it into my dirty laundry bin. I pick up a pair of sweats and after battling to get my jeans off I tug the sweats up my legs.

"Luke..." I hear Dylan speak up and I turn around to face her.

"Yeah?" I ask and she reaches out to me. I walk closer and she pulls me down onto the bed.

"Stay in my life okay?" She mutters after she settles her head onto my chest. I furrow my eyebrows and look down at her but I find her snoring slightly. I kiss her forehead softly and soon, I fall asleep.

-----------------

Really really squeezing in this Wednesday filler. Ugh I started school today and I'll be really busy this weekend so there may or may not be a Sunday update so yeah.

Luke's gift next chapter!

Any thoughts on what it is?

I hope you guys are getting back into the swing of things at school because it's hard lmfao.

~Dani.xx