36: Ring

"Alright, you wanna do date night on Thursday?" John asked his boyfriend.

"Yup, Thursday night'll work. I can get a babysitter and book the place." Alex smiled at John, who returned it. He got up from the desk and pecked him on the lips before checking on the twins.

"Papa!" Philip giggled, waddling to Alex, his sister following suit. "Me an Lil play animal!"

"You and Lil are playing animals? How fun!" Alex laughed. Holly took his finger in her tiny toddler hand, tugging at it.

"Come on, we show!" He let his daughter pull him to the toy corner, accepting his death. He wouldn't be able to escape for at least thirty minutes.

John's POV

John peeked into Holly's room, delighted to see his boyfriend stuck between their children.

"Heading out for groceries!" He called out, grabbing his keys and wallet before slipping out the door, despite the faint complaints from Alexander. He jumped into the car, and drove to the shopping centre. Once he found a parking spot, he hurried into the jewelry store, going straight to the counter.

"Hi, how can I help you?"

"I put a ring on hold about a week ago. John Laurens." He said, out of breath.

"Alright. I'll go grab the ring from the back. Wait here."

John stood there, checking the time on his phone every few seconds. Finally the lady reemerged from the back, a box in her hands.

"Mkay, that's $177." She said. John handed her his card.

"Alright, you're good to go! Good luck!"

"Thanks, have a great day!"

John made his way to the car. The easy part was done. Now for the hard part.