49: Diagnosis and Ukuleles

"Thyroid cancer. It isn't bad right now, probably a first stage. Therefore, we can start treatment."

John looked at Alexander, eyes wide. Alex stared back, joy slowly filling his body. "Only stage one?"

The nurse nodded. "If you'd follow me, sir, and we can get paperwork done. I believe your kids are across the hall." Alex got up, grabbing John's hand and kissing it. "Want Holly and Pip to come in again?" John gave a weak smile, nodding. "Alright, I'll tell them. I love you, John."

"L-love you, too." Alexander gave a final squeeze to his husband's hand, following the nurse out the door. She stopped a ways down the hallway to give him and the twins privacy.

"Dad is going to have to get treatment for a while, but is doing okay. He wants you guys to go in." Holly nodded, brushing loose strands of her curly, dark hair. Philip stood and walked in with her.

Alexander hurried down the hall after the nurse, anxious to start signing paperwork.

-

"Pops, look at it! It's so much better than my old ukulele." Holly pointed a mahogany concert ukulele that was hung on the wall. "Imagine how much better it would sound. And then Pip and I could actually play and record songs." Alex gave his daughter a small smile, his dark brown eyes meeting her pale, icy blue ones. 

"Fine. You can get the ukulele, as long as you pay for it. Alright?"

"Really? Thanks, Papa! I love you." Holly threw her arms around the her father, securing him in a tight hug before pulling out and dragging him further into the store. They strolled around for a bit, seeing who could name the most instruments without looking at what the name was and tested out guitars, ukuleles, and drum sets before heading to the counter to buy the mahogany concert pitch ukulele.

They exited the store with the ukulele in Holly's hand, a huge grin on her face. "I can't wait to play songs for Dad! And Pip will be happy about it, too!" She exclaimed. Alex smiled at her, happy to see his daughter so excited. 

"I'm sure Dad will be ecstatic for another performance by the Terrific Twins."

"You know that's not our band name. We just haven't come up with one yet, and that was a two time thing, Papa." Alexander smiled down at her again. "I know. But you guys are both terrific, by the way. I love you."

"Love you, too Papa."

-

Philip layed his head on John's shoulder, basking in the sweet, quiet moment. He had sung a few Beatles songs for his dad before he decided to comfort the curly haired man. 

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you, t-too, Philip."

"Hey, Dad?" Philip averted his eyes from John's, anxiously looking around the room.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to die on us? I don't know what I would do without you at home, Pops would go crazy without you. He only functions because you're there, as well as caffeine."

"I don't t-think I'll d-die soon. And e-every word you j-just said about your f-father was completely true."