47: Emergency

"Philip, who was a founding father of the United States?" Mr. Kinloch asked. Philip looked up from his paper and snapped out of his daze.

"Lin-Manuel Miranda?"

"Very good. Stay focused, Mr. Hamilton."

Philip nodded, then looked back at his paper. He had sketched out a girl subconsciously, and when taking a closer look, he realized he had drawn Theodosia. He felt his face flush before he stuffed the paper in his sweatshirt pocket.

He glanced to his right and saw Holly taking notes. He counted the many papers strewn around her. 19. Philip sighed. Through elementary school and the first two years of middle, his twin had always surpassed him academically. While she was better at writing and expressing her thoughts verbally and on paper, he was better at drawing and playing sports.

Which definitely didn't help his algebra grade.

"Philip and Holly Hamilton for check out." The intercom crackled.

Philip turned and looked at his twin. She was as confused as he was, it looked like. They both gathered their things, grabbed their bookbags and headed down to the main office.

"Did Dad or Papa tell you anything?" Holly asked. "No. Did they tell you?"

"No."

Philip pushed some of his curly hair out of his face. "Need a scrunchie, Pip?"

"Yeah, thanks Lil."

"Yup." Holly popped the 'p' to annoy him.

Alexander was waiting for the twins in the office, his leg anxiously bouncing up and down as he sat on one of the chairs. When he saw his kids enter, he stood.

"Philip, Holly. Let's go, alright?" Philip looked at Holly, concerned. They followed their father out of the school, only talking when they got into the car.

"Papa, what's going on?" Holly asked.

"Philip, Holly; Dad is in the hospital. He passed out earlier today."

"Is he dead?" Philip exclaimed.

"No. We don't know what's going on and he wanted you both to be there. You guys mean so much to us both. You have no idea."

"What do you mean, Papa?"

"You know Aunt Peggy, obviously. Do you remember Aunt Angelica? Last time you guys saw her, you were five."

"Yeah? What about them?" Holly asked.

"Well, they had another sister. Her name was Eliza. When we were all in college, your father and I were roommates and the sisters lived a few floors down or something like that. Anyway, Eliza had gotten pregnant. She didn't want the kid, but she didn't want to abort or adopt it. John-er, your father and I had just started dating when she asked us if we wanted the baby."

"We said we'd take care of it. A week or two later, Eliza came and told us she was pregnant with twins."

Philip's eyes widened.

"Your father was overjoyed. I was too, after a bit. We moved out of college dorms and bought an apartment. Set up your guys' bedrooms with Eliza and Peggy and Angelica. It was great. She met up with Maria, and we're pretty sure she had a crush on her. However, three weeks after you both were born, she.." Alexander sniffled. "She jumped. We held a funeral and I told myself I wouldn't cry over her death anymore. And I haven't for thirteen years."

"And now I don't know what's going to happen with John. And that makes me really frustrated." Alex whispered. Philip was tearing up, as was Holly.

"Dad will be fine. I know it. I love you, Papa." Philip sighed.

"He will. Love you, Papa." Holly agreed.

"I love you both so much. Your father does as well. We're both so proud of you guys. Don't forget that."