A Stronger Power

I was slowly dozing off, I pulled myself back to reality as quickly as I could and looked around, I was still seated in my chair in the infirmary, I let out a soft sigh as I slumped down in it, I choked back a cough before I looked around, Liu was still lying where he was put.
A couple of days ago Liu was put in paril and the proxies were sent out on a desperate rescue mission to save him, all the proxies got some sort of wound from it but it was necessary, Liu's life was in danger, he was in such bad shape when everyone got back all the proxies had to wait while all three of us medics did surgery, and ever since Liu's been completely out of commission and in critical condition, we don't trust leaving him alone for even a minute, each of us have rotated out the night shifts, third day was me so here I was, it just sucks that I happened to get a cold a day prior, I've already taken medicine and just downing bottles of it won't make it go faster, I was wearing a surgical mask just to make sure no one else got sick, I sat up a bit more as I looked at the clock, it was about three in the morning again, I looked towards the door when it opened ever so slightly, this was the 8th time it's opened, I let out a very quiet sigh, I knew who was out in the hall.
"Just get in here, Jeff." I said in slight annoyance, "I ain't gonna tell anyone, you're safe."
It was silent for a moment before the door opened more, I saw Jeff peek in slightly.
"I know you're panicked about nearly losing him again, I understand." I said, "I don't judge you for wanting to come to check on him."
Jeff sighed slightly and finally came in, I just ignored him as he went over to Liu, he quietly stood next to his bed as he stared at him.
"If you wanna lay with him I ain't gonna stop you." I said, "Just as long as you don't pull out the IV or remove the monitor then I couldn't care less."
He was quiet as I turned to the desk I was next to, I began rereading everything we've written about his condition, information each of us medics needed to convey to each other how he was doing, as I was sitting there I glanced at the clock to see the time, I sighed as I got up, I saw Jeff was laying next to Liu but I didn't say anything, I went over to him and began checking him over, heart rate, eyes, blood pressure, everything, I changed out the IV and bedpan before I sat back down, I pulled the mask down to blow my nose before I began writing his progress down and comparing it, I was pleased to see he was improving from his last checkup three hours ago, as I was sitting there I heard the door open, I looked over quickly to see Toby looking in.
"You okay?" I asked.
He shook his head as he closed the door, then began to come over to me, I pushed away from the desk as I turned to him, he came over to me and sat on my lap, I saw he had tears in his eyes, I pulled him into a hug, he sobbed slightly as I rubbed the back of his head.
"It's okay." I said softly, "Everything will be fine..."
He buried his face into my shoulder more as he continued to sob, I did my best to comfort him as I looked back at the progress sheet, I continued to write things down, I was waiting for Toby to calm down at least a little bit, I wasn't sure if he'd talk about what was wrong, I noticed that he didn't like talking about most of his nightmares, but I also knew they mostly were about his sister, after a few seconds I looked back at Liu and Jeff, Jeff was watching the two of us and I gave him a dark look, he was quick to turn away, I watched the cardiac monitor for a minute until I felt Toby move, I looked down at him as he sat up and wiped his eyes.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
"Yeah..." He said quietly, "I a-am now..."
"Good." I said, "Do you want to talk about it?"
He was quiet as he looked down, I never expect him to talk but I also never am surprised when he does, I just wanted him to be okay, eventually, he looked back up at me.
"I-I was in a r-room... and it w-was full of p-people who h-hated me..." He said quietly, "They a-all wanted t-to hit me... and h-hurt me..."
His eyes were filling with tears again, he wiped his eyes again.
"They were b-bullies, and r-really mean..." He said quietly as he turned away slightly, lowering his head, "I c-couldn't... feel what they w-were d-doing... but it w-wasn't fun..."
I pulled him into a hug again, he was starting to sob again, I rubbed his back and shoulders as I comforted him.
"Did you recognize everyone?" I asked.
He nodded into my chest.
"Th-there... were a l-lot of p-people f-from the m-mansion..." He said quietly, "J-Jeff... was the w-worst."
"Oh really?" I asked as I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, seeing that he was looking at us, "What was he doing?"
Toby sat up slightly and bat at my chest.
"Don't be m-mean!" He said angrily, "It was j-just a dream, d-don't go b-beating him up!"
"I know, I know." I said as I pulled him close again, "It was curiosity's sake."
Toby was quiet as he sat there.
"Will you tell me or is it too personal?" I asked.
He was quiet still.
"He j-just punched me..." He said quietly, "A-and... c-called me names..."
I rubbed his back slightly.
"It's okay." I said, "I'm sure you just dreamt about him because he was a jerk while I was gone."
Toby looked up at me slightly.
"H-huh...?" He asked quietly.
"It's basically your subconscious villainizing Jeff because he was mean." I said, "He was careless about your emotional problem so your emotions thought he was evil."
Toby was just quiet as he sat there.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
"I don't w-want Jeff t-to be a villain..." Toby said quietly.
"I'm sure you don't." I said, "But sometimes your mind makes decisions without you."
He was quiet as he was sitting there, he shifted slightly on my lap.
"Are you okay now?" I asked.
"Yeah." He said quietly, "I'm f-fine."
He sat with me quietly for a while until I looked and saw he was dozing off, I heard movement and looked to see Jeff leaving, I didn't say anything to him, I just let him go, after another few minutes I picked up Toby and took him over to a bed and laid him down, I then began checking over Liu, as I was taking his blood pressure I heard him groan, I looked up to see his eyes were slightly open, he looked around slightly.
"Good morning, gorgeous." I said, "Have a nice nap?"
"What happened?" He asked weakly.
"You were nearly killed." I said, "You've been out for a good few days."
I finished up taking his blood pressure to see it was a normal level, then I finished up checking on him.
"Well, it seems like everything's fine now." I said, "Though you should keep resting."
He silently agreed, I made sure he was comfortable before I went off and sat down, I then began writing things down on the information paper about him, including the fact he woke up at 3:55 AM exactly, I chocked back another cough just so I wouldn't disturb anyone, this was going to be a long night, though I was sure that now he was awake everything was going to be fine.