Chapter Nine: Bet

Lin:

Lia and I stand up straight, slightly awkward about what had happened. I thought we were fooling around alone and everyone else was in their dressing rooms or outside of the theater. "Julia and Lin will end up together in one month, bet!" Tommy says and the whole cast agrees. I see them talking amongst themselves, deciding how much money will be placed into this bet.

I shake my head nervously as I try to deny the butterflies fluttering inside of my stomach. Why do I feel this way? Julia and I are just friends. After all, she could never fall in love with someone like me, right? I'm sure she felt that way.

I glance at her and she's chuckling, she appeared nervous. "Anyway, let's get back to work!" I say, breaking all sorts and types of awkwardness.

I climb onstage and Julia comes after me, I help her up and again, the company cooes. It's like we do the simplest and most normal things, like breathing, and then they're like aww you guys are adorable.

I didn't mind it though, I liked being teased about Julia. Maybe it's because I actually wanted it to be true. Wait, what the fuck am I saying? Yeah, we're just friends, I said, convincing myself that nothing was ever going to happen.

As we begin the finishing rehearsals for today, I see Julia running around the stage, singing her lines flawlessly in "The Schuyler Sisters". After two hours, it was a wrap for today. We let the cast go home early today at around five so that they could keep learning their lines. When we were all done, Julia decided to meet me in my own dressing room.

She entered and a smile appeared on my face as she plopped down on the small couch. "I'm exhausted," She complained and I laughed at her.

"I kind of figured that out..." I joked, referring to her messy hair and bags under her eyes. She laughed and managed to  throw the pillow at me and I put my hands up in surrender. "You ready to leave or what?" I asked as I zipped up my black jacket.

She nodded and stood up as I waited for her in the door frame. We walked outside and I dreaded this moment, not wanting to leave her. She had to go home to learn her lines and practice. "I'll see you tomorrow?" I asked and she flashed me a beautiful smile. "Yes, sir. Hey, do you wanna get coffee with me tomorrow before rehearsals?" She offered and my heart raced for a second.

Did she really want to grab coffee with me?

As friends, I reminded myself.

"I'd love to." I say.

"Great, then I guess I'll see you tomorrow. Bye, Lin!" She said and before I could go, I grabbed her arm softly and kissed her cheek. I noticed her cheeks turned a light shade of pink, and I gave her a small smile. "Goodbye, Lia."