Awkward 'Happy Accidents'

The door slowly shut behind the three, as they stood in complete silence. Their heads were flooded with questions, as they tried to grasp at everything that just happened. But instead, they began to walk, walk back towards the city and away from the clubhouse.

It was Fries who broke the silence first.

"Poisoned." He uttered, his eyes filled with shock and disbelief,

"She was poisoned."

When she head this, Pin didn't dare look up from the ground. She rubbed her wrists, as she squeezed her eye shut to prevent a tear from slipping down her cheek, not wanting to show any kind of weakness towards Fries.

"Poor Ruby...I always knew that she was just...annoying, but..." he sighed.

"She didn't deserve this. At all."

Coiny glanced over at Pin, and then looked back up at Fries, his eyes shimmering sadly.

"What are they gonna do now...?" He whispered pitifully. Fries looked down, as he rubbed his forehead, his face exhausted and worn out.

"Well, knowing how the Freesmarter's...and Ruby, are...they're gonna do a full-out funeral. Golf Ball might perform an autopsy on her body before anything else, to see how she was poisoned."

"But how do you know she was poisoned?" Pin interrupted, still staring down at the pavement. Fries looked at her.

"Listen. Since I started to work on my garden, I had to learn about the things that could go into a garden, and what couldn't. I had to learn about poisonous plants so, if there's one in my garden, I can get rid of it." He took a breath.

"I learned about the weeds that could grow, I learned about the way my plants could die, especially in conditions like this. I learned about poppies and sunflowers, but what intrigued me was the poisonous flowers. Those symptoms she had...were eerily similar to...lilies of the valley flowers?" He thought for a moment.

"But this wasn't an accident. Someone...she....is after all of us. They're hunting each and every one of us down, staring with the frail and weak..."

Pin held her breath.

"And finishing...with the toughest."

Coiny clenched his fist, and mumbled angrily. He shut his eyes as he felt tears sting in his eyes, as he began to remember the dumb flame that he wanted to...apologize to. The small commotion caught Fries's attention, as he raised an eyebrow towards the small coin-creature.

Pin broke out of her staring, and carefully let her hand wrap around Coiny's hand, letting her warmth melt and permeate away into him. This seemed to calm him down, as he loosened up, and gave her a small, sad smile. She returned the smile, and looked up, as the three continued to trudge back towards the city.

———————————————————————————————————————————————

"Ruby?"

Book knocked gently on the door, as she stood patiently, a tray of food in her hands. She waited for the gem to open the door, and speak, but, as in the words of everyone who has tried to speak to her..

No response.

Booked sighed, as she put the tray down, putting her hand on the doorknob.

"Ruby, I'm coming in now...it's just me, ok?" She reassured. She turned the doorknob, and slowly let the door creak open. Light bursted into the darkened room, as the gem laid in her bed, covered in her blankets and sheets. She hasn't moved from that spot for at least five hours now.