Words of Hidden Comfort

"THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE."

Golfball shoved the pieces of paper down her desk, shaking her head in anger. She stared at the desk, confusion boiling her to the core.

She couldn't figure this out;

For the first time in her scientific career, she simply couldn't figure this out.

Tennis Ball rushed in, concern in his eyes as he heard his small friend scream out so suddenly. He looked around, until he noticed the smaller figure hunched over her desk, papers and pencils scattered all around her. She was breathing heavily, as she didn't even notice him rushing in.

"Golfball...?" Tennis Ball whispered out, as he slowly walked towards her. She didn't move; she simply stared at the blank area of her desk, keeping her head down. Tennis Ball frowned.

Not again... he thought to himself. He sighed, as he sat down next to the smaller ball. She didn't respond; a heavy silence crushing the atmosphere around the two.

"Are...you okay?" He asked, nervously. This made Golfball hunch over even more, her teeth gritting visibly. That is, until her blanked face slowly lifted up to a darkened grin.

"Am I okay?" She rasped out. Tennis Ball slowly moved back, cautious about what would erupt from her.

"Am I OKAY, TENNIS BALL?!" She laughed out, tossing her head back. Dark bags hung under her eyes, as her face, mixed in with the odd grin, was covered in sheer exhaustion. A bullet of sweat rolled down Tennis Ball, as he heard the cold laughter erupt from her.

"SURE, sure, I'm PERFECTLY FINE! I'm ALWAYS fine, you know!" She looked over at him, gesturing her foot towards his face. He gulped.

"G-GB, listen-"

"It's not like-..It's not like I'm responsible for finding out who this messed-up fuckery of a "murderer" is..." she made air quotation marks, moving her feet a bit.

"GB-"

"It's not like I'm in charge of fixing the Recovery Center too!" She laughed out once more. Tennis Ball sat up, trying to maintain his patience with her, but also, listen to what she had to say.

"And, it's not like I have to find a way to make sure this DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN! Nope!" She laughed harder, turning back towards her desk. Her smile slowly fell, as her eyes darkened, staring at the blank spot of her desk once more. The silence hanged over their heads once more, as Tennis Ball cleared his throat.

"W-..Was that all..?" He looked at her, his eyes filled with concern and panic. Golfball turned and glared at him, her eyes now shining-

Wait, shining?

Tennis Ball leaned in, his concern getting the best of him, yet also, shock.

"Golfball...you're-"

"I'M WHAT, TENNIS BALL." She yelled out, quickly snapping her head back down. She angrily squeezed her eyes shut, trying to prevent you-know-what from coming out of them. Tennis Ball sighed heavily.

"Listen, I'm starting to think that this is all getting to you. Why don't you take a break, and-"

"TENNIS BALL, LIVES ARE ON THE LINE HERE!" She moved her head and body towards him angrily, still trying to keep her eyes closed. Tennis Ball rolled his eyes. She was stubborn when it came to stuff like this, but...

"Golfball."

"I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS, LALALALALA-" she covered her ears, trying to ignore her taller friends words. But he didn't care.