Hushed Whispers

"Oh..."

Ruby covered her mouth, as Book slowly stumbled towards the scene. She felt her throat close up, as she looked down at the smaller figure, sprawled on the floor below. The book was in one arm, a bottle of pills loosely clutched in the other.

The book had some sort of a...

Bookmark..?

Book carefully lifted Teardrop's arm, as she grabbed the book, her breath becoming more heavy and shaky. She looked at the paper that stuck out from the book, and slowly opened it to the page.

It was a photo.

A photo of the...

"Squashy...grapes...?" She whispered, her voice faintly shaking. She inspected the picture, looking at all of the figures in the sunshine-filled scene.

Leafy stood in the middle, her mouth curled into a large grin. She was looking towards Teardrop, who was beside her, giving her a high five. Teardrop was smiling; her eyes sparkling as she returned the gesture.

She removed the picture, and was shocked to see...

Writing.

Teardrop's writing.

It was shaky, and a bit scratchy, but Book quickly scanned through it, trying to figure out...anything.

Anything that could answer her questions.

Why.

Why did she do it.

"No... No, no, Book...."

Book looked up, and her eyes trailed over to Ruby, shock beginning to numb her entirely after she had read the note. But she quickly snapped out of it, as she noticed Ruby hunched over, holding her head, with tears spilling down her cheeks. Her face was dangerously pale; her eyes widened in pain and panic, as she stumbled back, not able to break her stare with the floor.

Book looked down, and placed the book back onto the table, rushing over to Ruby's side. She couldn't say anything; she was silenced, her mind now heavier than before. She felt a darkness that dragged her lower and lower below the grounds...

But she couldn't feel this right now.

Ruby's hurting.

"T-T...Teardrop-" Ruby wheezed out, as she clasped her chest. A tear squeezed out of her eye as she began to lean backwards. Book quickly caught her, and put a hand oh her cheek, caressing her thumb around it. This didn't help; Ruby was still whispering and crying, not being able to break out of the shock that was hitting her.

This happened once...

But now it happened again.

With someone she could've...saved..

Suddenly, a shift in the atmosphere around the two made Book lean in and give Ruby a small peck on her lips. She didn't know why; or what...made her do it, but she swore she felt something..push her to do so. The atmosphere had a strange, airy feeling, and it didn't feel calm; yet it wasn't chaotic either. Book shook her head, and looked down Ruby, a bullet of sweat rolling down the side of her head. 

Maybe this would calm her down...

Nope.

A deep red blush bloomed on her cheeks, as she began to panic even more than before. 

"I-I..You...Y-You Kiss-" Ruby blubbered. 

Book felt tears prickle in her eyes. That was...a mistake.

Well...she didn't know. Ruby wasn't in the right state to grasp the situation...maybe she could figure out how she felt later.

"I-..I know this is scary..." Book whispered, gently sitting Ruby back down. She cupped her hands around the gem's face, caressing her cheek soothingly.