Lying Heartbeats

Beep...

Beep...

Gelatin's eyes slowly fluttered open, as he softly patted the white sheets that were laid on him. Each breath he took was agonizing; it felt like his lungs were being filled with fire.

But...

He looked down.

His hands...Why couldn't he...

He raised his trembling arms towards him, and felt his heart and veins go cold.

His hands were gone.

How. How. HOW.

Panic began to bubble up in his chest. His arms itched, and felt rather stiff. He looked down, and noticed the IV tubes that snaked up towards a few IV bags that hung beside him. Hot tears began to sting at his eyes as he stared at the bandages that wrapped the numbs of his arms, and as his trembling began to increase, he felt the needle and tape shift and scratch at him.

He looked around, trying to let his eyes adjust to lighting of the room he was in. His memory was a blur; all he could remember...

Was the bug arrow.

Pin falling.

That soup...

As he continued to look around, the door swung open with two objects (well...Fries and Tennis Ball) rushing inside of the room. Fries quickly ran towards the side of his bed, his face pale with beads of sweat dripping down the side. As Gelatin slowly moved his head to face him, Fries let out a trembling sigh.

"You're awake..." he mumbled. Gelatin's vision blacked out for a moment, before he sat up in his bed, a tear slowly trailing down his cheek. He held up his han- well...a nub; and with a breaking voice, he mumbled..

"My hands..."

A look of sympathy suddenly painted over Fries face. He gently pat his back, as he whispered an apology towards the small figure.

Gelatin then threw himself onto Fries, wrapping his arms around him. Fries carefully hugged back, as he heard Gelatin repeatedly mumble,

"I'm okay..."

"What happened back there..." Fries uttered, his voice scratchy and oddly quiet. Gelatin let go, as he looked over at Tennis Ball, who was currently looking at some of the notes he had.

"Well, from what I found, he had eaten some kind of dieffenbachia leaves...his airways were swollen and clogged up, and he was..dead..for a good five minutes. But I managed to bring him back, and..." he looked down towards his arms, sighing.

"...I did my best to try...and bandage that up as best as I could."

"Where's Pin." Gelatin replied coldly, not caring about what happened to him. Tennis Ball looked up, putting the notes back down onto the floor.

"She's in a separate room. She's being treated because she was injected with bug poison..." he sighed out.

"She was found unconscious by the time we found you. A bugs arrow was stabbed into her as well...and her hands were nearly in the same state; the murderer must have gotten to her, and when they heard Fries coming..." he stopped speaking, staring away from the two.

"But how? For starters, There were only two bugs, and I managed to kill them!" Fries acknowledged, cracking his knuckles. Tennis Ball flinched, as he looked back up.

"W-Well, yes, but as I inspected the two...I found these stabbed into them." He turned towards a small cooler, and took off the cover. He raised up a small plastic bag, with a taped label over it.