Ghostly Treats

A few hours passed, and the sun was high in the air. The air was cool and refreshing, as sunlight permeated through the city. Everyone was now off doing their own thing; some were exploring, while others were simply resting, taking a break from the chaos that had unfolded earlier.

Book walked alongside Ruby, as the two traveled around the city. The team was in need for more food, so Book decided to go along and get some, and Ruby hesitantly volunteered to go along with her. The two walked in silence, as they walked by the abandoned science museum, expecting to see a certain someone there. Book looked up, and raised her hand to wave towards Needle, who usually-

Oh.

Book slowly put her hand down, as she looked away from the empty area. Ruby shot a glance towards her, before she cleared her throat.

"So..." She whispered.

"How's life...?"

Ruby mentally winced at the terrible conversation starter, but, hey, it was a shot. She just wanted to break the silence. Book blinked, before she looked down at Ruby, shrugging.

"Life's...weird."

Ruby nodded in agreement, as she looked down at her hands, slowly clasping them together.

"Life's just been all over the place. It's like it doesn't want us to relax in a way..." Ruby let out a weak chuckle. Book's eyebrows furrowed together, as she looked down.

"Honestly, this is all just chaos. I want it to end..." She looked away. Ruby nodded, as she looked ahead.

"It was hard. I've...never seen Teardrop that way."

"How was she...after..." Book uttered. Ruby rubbed her arm.

"Uh...Not so good. She was like me; she didn't want to see anyone, she was sobbing, angrily pacing around, snapping...It took me a while to calm her down."

A small smile grew on her face.

"But..I managed to do it. I helped calm her down, and we just...talked. Cried, laughed, talked...It felt..."

"Refreshing?" Book smiled. Ruby nodded in agreement, as she put a hand on Book's arm.

"Refreshing."

The two smiled, Ruby's face filled with a little bit more life than before, but the bags were still beneath her eyes. The two continued to make their way down the street, continuing to look for a nearby store that they'd always go to.

That is, until Book froze.

Ruby looked back, confusion clearly painted on her face.

Why did she stop?

"Book...?" Ruby called out. Book didn't respond; her face was growing pale, as she slowly wrapped her arms around herself. Her eyes darted around the area, as she slowly began to back away. Ruby looked around, confused as to what Book was freaking out about, and why it had this much of an effect on her.

She looked around, until it suddenly hit her.

Hard.

"Oh gosh, Book..." she cautiously put her hand on her shoulder, and looked into her eyes.

"Book, breathe, it's okay..." she mumbled, as she slowly led Book away from the area. Book was still out of it; letting out incoherent mumbles and gasps of fear.

Ruby...has never seen her like this.

But it should be understandable...

She could've died back there when it happened.