Losing Me, Losing You

Tired.

Just...so tired.

Book was laying on the van floor- clutching the now-dull shards that was once, alive and well. No sunlight dared to enter there- the shadows lurked with haunting auras that tried to pull her out of reality, but grief was working its magic- keeping its barbed arms coiled around Book, and holding her against the soothing feeling of the carpeted floor of the van.

Songs of misery were on rewind in her head- the whispers of hope and dull lights of happiness ultimately washed away into the sorrowful melodies that never seemed to end inside of her. There were moments where Book would burst into tears, and there were moments where Book laid in dead silence, staring intensely at Ruby's shards in her hands.

Maybe she was hoping that she'd move.

Or maybe she was fantasizing about other possibilities- anything instead of this one. She unlocked the little box of dreams and worlds she had once shoved away from her mind, and simply let them run wild.

When Book wept into Ruby's bloodied shards, Ruby had jumped behind her- placing her soft hands on Book's trembling shoulders. She'd yell out in a mocking tone, teasing Book about the reaction and the sudden scare she had made just for her-
and Book? Well, she'd embrace her into a hug.

She could even hear her voice in these little dreams of hers.

"Why are you crying?! It was just a joke, ya goof!"

"I-I was so sure- I didn't- y-your shards- wh-"

Ruby giggled softly, gently caressing Book's tear-stained cheeks and brushing away the globs of tears that had sneaked past her hands. "Shh...shh...I'm here, Book...I'm here.."

Book could feel the comforting embrace of her arms, as she shakily rested her head onto her chest. Hearing her heart beat ever so softly inside her, Book's eyelids began to grow heavy, the fear inside of her slowly fluttering into a happily hushed sensation.

She was still shaken by the incident- but, with Ruby's arms wrapped around her, she couldn't help but feel relieved that it was all a prank. She could've been dead- and she would've been kneeling over that pool of 'blood', her tears of sorrow mixing foggily with the crimson below her.

Oh, how lovely would it have been.

But instead of being held by Ruby, she was here, embraced by the cruel, autumn atmosphere that seemed to linger with the dead.

She wished she were dead.

She could fly around non-stop, and she could hear the chatter of what once used to be her friends.

Laying here for the past week now hasn't been a blast, but its what she would've wanted anyways.

Its funny- thinking about all the things you once had in the grip of your hands, and wishing that you still had it all with you. Because now that it's gone, its gone.

...

She wish she could've been there, at least. Been there by her side, comforting her until she was ultimately tossed off of the side.

But why would she want that? It would've been much, much worse- seeing the person you love so much, getting murdered right in front of you- and you, not being able to do a single thing about it.

Then maybe she would've wanted to speak to her again. At least apologize for the promise she had ultimately broken- protect her, remember?

She did everything but that. She could've stayed up instead, she could've been the one who fended Pin away from the group, hell, she could've been the one who died instead- and at this point, she didn't give two shits about dying.