Chapter 2: Growing Up

Myoui Mina and Chou Tzuyu, both were raised at the Otakawa Orphanage. The orphange was the only home the girls had known their whole lives. Mina's mother, a Japanese woman and the head caretaker at that time, passed away giving birth to her first child in Mina's very own room. The girl remained there her whole life without knowing her father, who had died of cancer a few months before, or another guardian who could take her under his care.

Tzuyu, supposedly from a rich family, was left at the orphange's doorsteps in the hands of her mother. Her mother, and probably also her father, was a Taiwanese citizen. They had come to South Korea to take care of some business, but soon, they were forced to part with their one-year old. And just a few days after, the couple was killed in a car accident.

But later, when the orphange tried to look into the case, they found out that it was suspected to be a planned murder by the police. The staff was informed that the family's wealth was under some dangerous eyes so it would be best if they kept the baby with them. Legal guardians were searched for, but it turned out, no one in her family even knew about her birth. Her parents had kept it a secret. Apparently, none of them, even her grandparents, were even willing take her under their protection so the orphange was the only place she had for the time's being. Not even a single penny passed down to her, she was left to grow with total strangers.

But not everyone was a stranger to Tzuyu. The odds were with her when she was put in the same room as Mina. They had grown up developing a special relationship, a bond, closer than any best friends or sisters. Lively girls, they were. Always seen together, laughing and playing. Though foreign, they managed to become friends with almost every person at the orphange and were loved by everyone they knew. Popular girls, nice to every kid and adult. Favourites, they were called. And no one minded.

But their perfect orphaned lives soon changed. Another orphanage from a town nearby caught fire one night. Fortunately, the staff was quick to evacuate, but the whole building had burned down to ash, leaving no place for those orphans to live in.

Otakawa Orphanage offered space under their own roof. It was a big place, but the rooms and beds were outnumbered by the massive population of extra kids. Mina, sixteen at that time, finally made the decision to move out and live on her own. The fourteen year old Tzuyu went with her, leaving their private bedroom to be turned into another room for the kids.

Moved by the kindness, Mrs. Lee, the new head caretaker who took after Mina's late mother, rented a small house for the girls a short distance away from the orphanage. After the fire incident, a huge amount of donations was made. The kindhearted woman insisted on paying the rent until Tzuyu was of age to find a job for herself too, along with Mina.

But when Tzuyu did get a job, the rent was still payed by the orphanage because after all, the girls were still under their care. The money, also for groceries and extra needs, was delivered to them every week in an envelope by an aging guy. But just three years after their moving, the old man retired. Then the job was then taken up by a young high-school student, Park Jimin, as a part time.

Just after a few times of his shift, he got to know the girls better. He stayed over for a few minutes for small talks and a cup of coffee or some pastries. Being in the same school, they became friends and he began visiting them more often, job or not. Soon, he came to grow closer with both of them.

But especially Mina.