Chapter 48: A Lost Friend

Mina told her unnies that she'd be taking her leave now and left for her "date" with Jimin. She had been so close to breaking down after that text last night that she was about to block him after his first message appeared on her screen, but Tzuyu had cleared up the situation before things could get any worse. Mina felt stupid for actually believing it. She should have known that Tzuyu loved messing around with Jimin and the message wasn't structured like it was a serious matter. She felt much better after Tzuyu sent her a screen shot of their conversation and told her that she was just trying to get something out of him. And instead of pressing the delete button, she'd pressed the sent one instead.

But still, Mina felt an uncomfortable knot in her stomach. Jimin had only refused the part about flirting with those girls, not showing off his body. She wasn't sure what she wanted to say to him after that so ignoring his calls and texts seemed like the best plan for now. She knew that it was totally normal for her to be mad at him. What he did wasn't acceptable when he was already dating a girl. She didn't expose much of her body either because he didn't like it, even before they were together. And since winter was still ruling over South Korea, he didn't even let her wear T-shirts or knee-length pants when at home with other boys over for a hang out. And he also preferred that's she didn't wear low or wide-neck outfits. Her New Year present from him was delivered at her door in a huge box: turtleneck sweaters. A bunch of turtlenecks with a long and sweet letter expressing his love for her and explaining his reasoning for that kind of present. And she was currently wearing a black one bearing a cute little penguin on it, along with the mint green cardigan he gave her for Christmas topped with the white scarf.

Mina shivered as she stepped outside in the unforgiving weather of this cursed winter. She looked around her, at the college building, the dorm building, the courtyard, the parking lot, the street ahead of her. She couldn't believe that so much had changed in just one year. And it had all started with her and Tzuyu losing their house.

Would everything have been the same if that robbery in the orphanage didn't happen? Mina and Tzuyu would have never moved, Jennie's hatred for the orphan girls might've never increased, Jungkook would've never gone to the club to stay away from Tzuyu, he would've never seen Jennie seducing that guard, Sana's secret would've had never been discovered, Taehyung might've never been able to confess his love for Sana, and then, she would've never had challenged Jimin to ask Mina out. And maybe Tzuyu still would've been living a single life while Lisa and Jungkook still were clinging on to each other, bullying that poor girl. Was this all the work of the Destiny? Maybe these changes were meant to happen in their lives and change their fates.

Mina pulled the scarf tighter around her neck and continued her walk to Jimin's favorite café. Her mind was a nervous wreck and she kept wishing that something came up so Jimin cancels the plan. She had been so embarrassed about ignoring him the whole day yesterday. And today typing "okay" instead of "Good morning, baby" this morning was half killing her. Now it seemed like such a childish way to deal with serious problems.

Over the whistling of the wind, she heard her name being called. It was a man. She did not know who it was, but the voice seemed eerily familiar. She turned around, looking for him but saw no one. A sudden tap on her shoulder scared her. She swung around her head, her fists raised, ready to defend if needed defence. A guy, maybe just a few years older, stood in front of her, smiling like it was the best day if his life.

"W-who are you?" she asked, lowering her fists. The guy just laughed and patted her head. He didn't answer her question.

"Yes! I'm finally taller than you, Minari!" His eyes shone like it was a miracle.

Uh, you're a guy so of course you're going to be taller, genius, was what she was planning to say but what came out was a "Huh?"