Chapter 74: Pool Party

"Yah! Jungkook! Watch it!"

"Bet you can't do this, Hyung!" 

Swinging her head in exasperation, Nayeon dipped her pedicured feet into the hot tub and sipped delicately from her mocktail. "I swear, these idiots . . ." she groused to Jeongyeon, frowning at the faint lip stains on her glass. "Yah, Yoongi-ah!" she yelled over to her boyfriend, who stood facing Jungkook at the diving board from up on the water slides. "Don't you see he's challenging you?! Show him your backflips and make him shut up for God's sake!"

"Just let them be, unnie," said Tzuyu from over at the beach chairs, clearly enjoying her boyfriend annoying the heck out of all his friends. "Oh, look! There goes the scrawny kitty down the board."

Nayeon jerked head back to the diving board and screamed when Yoongi jumped down from the five-meter height. Her heart skipped a massive beat. "Yah! I didn't tell you to go that high--!"

But he splashed into the water curling his body into a perfect frontflip instead and everyone who'd been watching him erupted into loud applause. 

Yoongi's head bobbed up to the surface and he turned to smirk at his girlfriend, his eyes batting in full stuck-up mode. "Don't ever underestimate me, Nayeon-ah," he told her. But he'd made a grave mistake and she was a girl truer to her nature than anyone. Sudden surprises like these were never her thing, especially when they included him. Instead of praising him like the rest, Nayeon stuck her tongue out at him, her veins really busting with pride on the inside like fireworks, and, when he could only offer another fanfaronade wink, she went back to muttering her head off to Jeongyeon, a true friend to the heart who hadn't been able to spare her ears during the whole party.

Jungkook made a long leap into the pool and swam up to Yoongi. He patted him on the back. "You did good, Hyung. But not every girlfriend appreciates her boyfriend's talents."

"That's alright with me," Yoongi replied, pushing back his bangs from his forehead. "At least mine wasn't encouraging me on to break my neck jumping down from so high up."

"Uh . . . she was--"

"But tell me, Kook, why is yours sitting over there for the past thirty minutes and not joining us in the pool? I was expecting a water war with two of the biggest nuisances present."

Jungkook cleared his throat and twisted around to swim away. The pallidness on his face from being the water too long was quick to flush into a rosy pink."I--I . . . She almost sprained her foot-wrist joint--ankle so I made her sit. She'll join us soon if she feels like it. Now, don't go asking her to come!"

Although Yoongi knew exactly why she was sitting instead of playing around, he didn't push Jungkook any further. And anyway, in just five seconds, Jungkook was already several feet away from him for Yoongi to ask such questions, his strokes sure and even like a professional swimmer. These brats . . . He smiled and pulled himself out of the pool. After staying in the water for so long, it didn't feel so warm to him anymore. Yoongi rubbed his torso dry the best he could to get off the smell of chlorine and went to the hot tub to sit with Nayeon. His tactics for his care for her were somewhat similar to Jungkook's, if not as sweet, and he had strictly forbidden her to goof around if she was planning on complaining about the pain later. 

Screams rose into the air. 

"Yah, I've had enough for one night!" Jinyoung screamed back, but even louder. And so, the sources of the noise weren't the only ones to acquire homicidal glowers.  

Over on the other side of the pool, Jimin was chasing Mina down the perimeter of the place after discovering her stealing a pineapple slice from his mocktail. The floor was already slippery as it was, and soon as he thought he had her cornered--between himself and the refreshments table--Chaeyoung prowled closer from behind with her boyfriend.