Chapter 5: That Jerk

"Yrou?!" The word hollered again in the room as though it was a reviled allegation. Their voices blended into one, making an abnormal, yet a pleasing combination. His voice pitching higher up to a girl's while Tzuyu's grumbled out in the form of a growl.

Some time was taken off from the beginning of a terribly awkward, not to mention heated, conversation since things constantly tended to take an unusual turn for both. They stared each other to death as if there was no tomorrow. Normally people would avoid someone they disliked, but it would be a massive shock to all if one of these two went on with their day without spouting a solitary expression of affront for the other. It was for the good of all that they were to be kept at least a dozen feet apart from each other at all times.

Heated or not, the conversation took off with a loud yell, like how it did for the most part. "Why the heck are you here?" he inquired.

Rather than dreading the situation, the first thing that popped into her mind was to make a leap for a score. The first insult. She stayed quiet for a while, daring him with her sparkling eyes to say more. So he repeated the question with a significantly louder volume.

But this time, all rivalry aside, there was real rage and improbable disbelief in his question. Playing it cool, though wishing for God to lift her up from this cruel world, she smirked and aimed for the retort. "If your oh-so slow mind hasn't caught up yet, then I'll make it clear: What's up, roomy?" she answered with a smirk.

"Roomy? What the ('f' word)ing heck do you mean?!"

"I know. It's pretty unfortunate, right?" she asked, her smirk refusing to part despite of the various emotions she was feeling. "For me?"

Realizing that she took away the point for this one without letting him grab the opportunity first, his mind went blank with utter shock. "What?" was all he could mutter, but mentally, he was plashing his brain for being so absent-minded. Her remark, in the first few minutes on the first day of their first encounter after weeks, was gonna go down the history of the many verbal battles they've fought. Yes, things were this worked up between the two.

"Try not to stress. You're not the only one. I feel bad to myself too."

"You . . ." His expression changed as his mind took things into focus. The usual coolness in his eyes and smile returned. He tried searching for the right words for a reasonable, but brutal-in-his-own-way comeback, but couldn't find any. Then his eyes landed on Tzuyu's onesie, and this time, it was he who smirked. "Kid," he whispered, cupping his palms around his mouth.

That did it for her. The insidious gleam in his eye was sufficient for her to calculate that he took the plunge. The score was a tie. In any case, she didn't give any indication of the immense aggravation and annoyance she was experiencing. She just smiled, making sure to let him know that she was going to make this one hell of a year for him.

Tzuyu's doom, or in other words, this jerk, went by the name of Jeon Jungkook. Or as she liked to call him, the Triple "J": Jeon Jerk Jungkook. (Honestly though, doesn't the name have a nice ring to it?) This was one of the numerous nicknames she had for him. Some were too offensive to say out loud, but really, they were still an understatement for an annoying demon like him.

Kid, that's what he called her. And he's been doing for the past few years ever since he came to know that she was the youngest student in their grade. He was basically the reason why growing up meant a lot to her. He was never the one to let go of the chance to remind her.

There was a spark of competition between the two, a blinding passion to beat the other. Grades, looks, friends, all those things. It didn't matter what it was, but each was set on the goal to outdo the other in any possible way. Like the time he landed her to detention. Twice, and without a sensible reason, too, knowing that he was a god-gifted persuader. Persuading others, especially when a stupid cause was at hand, came like breathing to him.