Chapter 23

Posted 1 day ago

Posted 1 day ago

VeronicaSwanepoel: My View 

5,485,345 likes ~ 65,866 comments

---

Posted 1 day ago

Posted 1 day ago

HarryStyles: V x A

4,857,594 likes ~ 54,567 comments

---

As soon as I got news of my brother being in hospital, I booked the first tickets that I could get to Kenya. I didn't bother packing a bag to go, I simply went to the airport and ended up meeting with my mum who got us a private jet.

I left Harry and our son behind because I knew that I wouldn't be able to be a good wife or mother to them because I'm going frantic. We haven't received any news from the hospital but I'm aware of the fact that my father is an hour away from my brother and that's good enough. I'm not sure if the twins are with him or if they are on the way.

My mum and I ignore the paparazzi as we make our way out of the airport. I take my mum's suitcase as she starts becoming dazed, I quickly lead her into our hired car as we prep for the hour long journey.

 I take my mum's suitcase as she starts becoming dazed, I quickly lead her into our hired car as we prep for the hour long journey

My mum bows her head and her hands come up, that's when I know that she is praying. I close my eyes before interlacing our fingers together as we pray together. We pray in English and in Lingala just so that we could feel more in touch with our God.

"Oh God." My mother looks out the window, she rests her hands against the window as tears slide down her face.

I place my hand over her left hand which is resting on her leg, she turns over hand and interlaces our fingers while still looking out. We spend the rest of the journey in silence, I send Harry a text letting him know that I am on the way to the hospital before sending my love to our son.

---

"Timothy, please tell me that you have something." My mom's Afrikaans accents shines strong, attracting all eyes to us. I can barely smile as I see Chloe, Halle and my father sitting in the waiting room.

"Hello Veronica." My dad pulls me in for a much needed hug before taking my mom to the side and talking to her in our mother tongue, away from all the eyes.

"Did you guys find out anything?" I ask the twins and they give me a sad look.

"He's in a coma." Halle gravelly announces. "I don't know the details that went down but he sustained some type of head injury."

"Jesus." I cry at the news before looking away as I hear my mom scream.

Although Chad is not the oldest, he is the last child that my mother gather birth to and he is the only boy in the family besides our father. The bond that Chad and my mother have is one that is out of this world, they love eachother so dearly.

I pull both of my sisters in for a hug, we stay like that for a few minutes until our father calls us over

"Your mother just had Chad moved to a private room, we can now visit him for a short while." He says, trying to remain strong for us women. We follow our dad up to Chad's room, I stop outside of the room as the twins walk in. 

My dad puts his hand on my shoulder, "You alright?"

"No." I respond while shaking my head, I run my hands through my hair a couple of times.

"Ah jeez, the baby." My dad realises before sighing. "Christ, it must be so hard."

"How did it happen?" I quietly ask as I hear my mum sobbing from inside the room.

"You know how Chad likes to explore." I nod my head and he wraps his arms around me. "Him and his mates were climbing Mount Kenya, one of his friends ended up getting hurt while climbing. Chad being the good lad that he is... put his life at risk to help his friend, Chad fell off the mountain in the process."

"Jesus Christ." I say in disbelief as I cry my eyes out. My dad pulls me in for a hug which I accept as I cry my eyes out. Once I feel my shoulders getting wet, that's when I know that my dad is crying. "I can do this."

We eventually pull away from eachother before I walk into the room. I'm horrified by the sight of him, I almost collapse but I'm caught by my dad.

"Oh God." I take in his appearance and begin to cry all over again. Both of his legs have casts on them, covering his whole leg and they are held high by some elastic, I can't even see his toes. I look up to see all the scratches on his arms and chest, I note that his left arm is in a huge cast. Most of his fingers have bandages and I can guess that his fingernails had broken off. I place my hand over my chest as I take in his scratched up face, his head has a huge bandage around it and one of his eyes are covered. 

It's a miracle that he is still alive. 

Well actually the life support machine is the only thing that is keeping him here. Oh, my baby brother. What did you do to deserve this? What did we do?

I look away as I feel my stomach turn. I quickly run into the bathroom, puking my guts out as my mom holds back my hair. 

Once the vomiting stops, the crying begins again.

"I know it's hard V but you need to think about the baby." My mum says before she is called by the doctor. "Halle, get in here and watch over your sister."

My mum pats my shoulder before walking out of the bathroom. Halle walks in and helps me to my feet. She helps me wash my face before brushing my teeth for me, all without saying a word. Once I am ready to leave the bathroom, I thank her before taking a seat besides Chad. Whatever skin that I can see, I place my hand over it so that he knows that I'm here.

"I love you, Chad."