23.

The school principal, Mr. Brown sat there with his elbows to his table and his fingers interlocked as he stared at the two boys sitting side by side on the opposite side of the table. Trevor had a plaster on his nose and Lance pressed a pack of ice to his bruised cheek. The both of them were taken to the school nurse who saw them and shook her head. "You can't be serious," she had said as she wondered how two people could hate each other so much. Afterwards, the Chemistry teacher reported to the principal. Unfortunately for the both of them, the chemistry teacher wasn't as lenient as Mr. Decker, the Algebra teacher.

The three of them just sat there in the silence that had engulfed Mr Brown's office, the only sound was coming from the wall clock at the corner.

"To be honest," Mr Brown finally broke the silence with his eyes on Trevor. "I never expected such from you,Bowman."

Trevor gave a depressing sigh before he opened his mouth. "Mr. Brown I-"
Then he stopped and leaned back in his chair the moment the Principal lifted his palm to stop him.

"And you," Mr. Brown went on, with his eyes on Lance this time. "You're the reason why i'm not going to expel or punish the both of you."

Trevor wanted to turn and look over at Lance on his right, but he thought that would be stupid. From the corner of his eye, he could see Lance glaring at a painting on the wall beside Mr. Brown all the while he was talking to him.

"I'm not going to punish you because I wouldn't want to make your life more difficult than it already is," Mr Brown said to Lance.

Trevor then shoved his pride aside and glanced at Lance beside him when he heard what the principal just said. What did he mean by that? Trevor could tell the principal's statement had also struck Lance in a way because, for the first time since they entered the office, Lance was looking at the principal.

"..But if something like this happens again, the school will have to call your parents," Mr. Brown warned. "And as for the school property you both destroyed, the school will take care of it this once."

Trevor was relieved but yet a little uncomfortable to think that they were getting off the hook....because of Lance. What was going on? What did Mr. Brown know about Lance?

"Remember," Mr Brown pointed at them with a tone of warning. "The next time this happens, you both won't be so lucky. Is that understood?"

"Yes sir,"Trevor replied politely before he looked over at Lance, a bit surprised he didn't reply Mr. Brown.

"Can I go now?" Lance spat.

Trevor immediately turned to Mr. Brown, expecting a hostile reply, but Mr. Brown just sighed and thinned his lips. "Sure Lance," the bearded man said as he nodded. "You can go."

Before Mr. Brown could even finish, Lance was on his feet. He just walked to the door,opened it and walked out without even closing it back. Trevor moved his confused eyes from the open door to the principal.

"You too, Trevor," the principal sighed as he relaxed back in his chair.
Trevor slowly got up, turned and headed for the door. He made his way out and closed it. He was a bit delighted to see Lisa and Caleb waiting for him outside the office. Lisa and Caleb moved closer to him with fear in thier eyes; almost as if they were waiting for the bad news.

"Relax, guys," Trevor smirked. "I'm not getting expelled."

Lisa and Caleb exhaled in relief before Lisa ran up and hugged him. "Thank God," Lisa groaned as she kissed his lips. The three of them made thier way away from the Administration wing and walked into the empty hall way. School had closed over forty minutes ago.

Caleb's smile dissolved into confusion as he drove his fingers through his brown hair. "But wait," he pondered. "I don't get it. I mean, you guys destroyed school property. You could have been seriously injured. How the hell didn't you guys get a single punishment from Principal Brown?"

Lisa suddenly turned and punched Caleb on the arm so hard, he uttered a somewhat quiet "Ouch."

"What?" Caleb scowled at her as he rubbed his arm.

"Did you want him to get expelled?" Lisa growled through her teeth.

"N-No. No, Ofcourse not," Caleb stuttered as he moved his eyes from Lisa to Trevor. "It's just a bit strange, that's all. I don't get it."

Just then, someone walked out of one of the classrooms and the teens turned and saw it was Lance. He paused when he saw them, before he hung his backpack on his right shoulder and then turned away and walked straight for the entrance.

Trevor kept his narrowed and suspicious eyes on Lance while he walked away as he finally replied Caleb's statement. "Yeah," he said. "Me too."