103

The next day, a saturday; Trevor heard his phone ringing on his bed side. He turned over and picked it up.

He was still a bit sleepy.

He left Lance’s house at about eleven-thirty last night and was glad his mum was on call when he got back.

Trevor held the phone to his view and felt the sleepiness fade quickly when he saw that it was Lance calling.  He tapped the green button and pressed the phone to his ear.

“Hey babe,” Trevor yawned.

“Don’t fucking call me that,” Lance hissed from the other side.

“Okay, sorry,” Trevor chuckled as he drove his fingers through his blonde hair.

“You on your way?”

Trevor’s brows furrowed with confusion. “On my way to where?”

“To pick me up.”

There was a four second silence between the both of them. Trevor obviously didn’t know what Lance was talking about and that’s why his eyes narrowed and searched the wall before him as he tried to understand what was going on.

“Jesus Christ,” Lance’s whisper was laced with frustration. “You forgot, didn’t you?”

“Forgot what?”

“We're supposed to drive down to school together and meet the others for the quiz competition today, you moron,” Lance growled.

Trevor’s eyes went wide with realization.

He had suddenly remembered.

Last night, as they both laid there on Lance’s bed, staring at the ceiling after they had sex, Lance had told him everything Stephanie had told him over the phone. Lance had asked Trevor to come with him and he had replied with a smile, “You don’t even need to ask.”

Trevor had agreed to pick Lance from home and then they would both go to the school. Lance had specifically told him exactly what Stephanie had told him in the text she sent hours after the call.

Mr. Alonzo was leaving the school by eight.

He spun to his alarm clock.

7:43AM

“Fuck!” Trevor spat as he flew out of  bed, dropped the phone, pulled his towel off the door of his closet and darted straight for his bathroom.

Stephanie stood at the parking lot of the school along with Tessa, Keith and Caleb. It was a saturday and so, except for Mr. Alonzo’s car and Caleb’s, the entire school parking lot was deserted.

“Where the hell is he?” Stephanie looked into her watch and then looked up at the school drive way. “We’ve got just ten minutes left.”

“Told you he wasn’t coming,” Keith hissed from the corner while leaning against Caleb’s car with his hands crossed across his chest. “The guy is an asshole.”

“I knew something was up when you said he agreed,” Tessa began. “It was too good to be true.”

“Christ,” Stephanie sighed as she drove her fingers through her hair.

“Hey,” Caleb moved to her and placed his hands on her shoulders. “It’s okay. Relax.”

Stephanie looked up into his green eyes and found them surprisingly comforting and reassuring.

“Just relax,” Caleb smiled kindly. “He’ll be here. Alright?”

“Oh please,” Keith spat from the corner; unable to hide his irritation at the entire situation. “He’s not coming. You know why? Because he’s Lance fucking Tiffin! He’s supposed to be an asshole.”