141.

The days had passed by very quickly.

Prom was finally here,......

Trevor

...But Trevor wasn't going.

With his laptop computer open before him, he was working on his college application. He was a bit mad that he was still working on it even after exams were done and graduation was near; considering the fact that he had started over three months ago. All the subsequent rejections were beginning to get to him; not as at then, but now. It was made all the more annoying at the fact that the difficulty of the whole thing stemmed from that fact that his parents......his dad, wanted him to go in civil engineering. Nothing less.

He looked down at the screen, the blue and gray coloured website of Bayton institute of technology, flashing before him. He had applied a few days ago and was told to check back today after he had taken a short online test. If he passed the test, he would be called over for an interview. If he passed the interview, he would be accepted into the program.

He sat there, staring at the cursor flashing in the spaces he was meant to put his name and his serial number. He didn't expect to pass the test anyway. He knew his performance would be crap. He had missed three other applications colleges his dad had sent to him. Deep down, Trevor really didn't care if he got in or not. Nothing really mattered anymore. He raised his fingers to his keyboard and drummed on the keys with his fingers; typing in his name and serial number...and then tapping the 'Enter' button.

He leaned back on his chair and waited for a few seconds as the screen was loading. He looked to his alarm clock at the side of his bed.

"12:30pm."

Prom was starting in a few hours.

He turned back to his screen, just in time to see his result.

He sighed and dropped his shoulders, looking somewhat indifferent at the fact that he was now qualified for the interview stage. He stared at the screen for a few seconds, before he hibernated his computer, stood from his seat and walked out the room; moving downstairs, through the kitchen and out to the backyard garden to find his mother relaxed on a chair under the gazebo; a glass of red wine on one side and a good book on the other. Mrs. Bowman always knew how to relax when she wasn't working.

Trevor moved over to the chair opposite hers and sat.

"Hey sweetie," his mother uttered gently, before she moved her eyes from her book and eyed him with concern. "You okay?"

Trevor looked down to his fingers on his lap as he fiddled with them. He then looked up at his mum with a weak smile. "I-eh-I've got a college interview with Bayton," he said.

"Oh," his mom uttered with a smile. "That's wonderful."

Trevor flashed her a wry smile, before he looked back down to his hands.

Mrs. Bowman's smile then faded as she kept her eyes on him. It was clear that he wasn't excited....or maybe he didn't even care. She always knew he wasn't really interested in majoring in civil engineering. As a mother, she could always sense his displeasure at the fact that his father wanted him to follow in his footsteps.

She also knew that right now, it was even worse. His college application wasn't the only thing on his mind, and so she thought she would ask the only question she thought would be necessary.

"How are you?"

Trevor raised his eyes to her and blinked, trying to hide the pain she could already see. "I'm good," he flashed another wry smile.

His mother smiled back, nodding her head slowly. She then took her attention back to the book before her and sighed. "So," she uttered. "...getting ready for prom?"