117.

Meanwhile, some changes had been going on in the home of the Tiffins that had left Lance’s parents speechless these last three days.

It all started three days ago. Lance’s mum was in the kitchen preparing dinner, she was a bit exhausted from work that day and it was already eight thirty, meaning dinner was going to be late. She had Molly in the kitchen, but there was little Molly could do. Put certain plates and pans in the sink, throw papers and empty cans in the waist paper bin, and so on.

Mrs. Tiffin didn’t want risk her daughter getting burnt or cut.

Lance’s mother pulled out the bag of carrots from the fridge and closed it. Then, her eyes landed on the door way, and she almost jumped.

“Oh my,” the woman sighed and pressed her palm to her chest when she saw Lance leaning on the door frame with his hands crossed over his chest. “Lance,…you scared me.”

Lance gave a nervous smile and looked to the floor.

Mrs. Tiffin looked over at Molly sitting on the island table. The little girl looked equally stunned. She then turned back and faced Lance. She didn’t really know what to tell him or ask him. It just looked awkward and out of place seeing him standing at the door of the kitchen.

Lance never came down stares….not even for dinner.

“Uhm-Lance?”
Lance looked up at her.

“Do…do you need something?” The woman asked.

Lance glanced at Molly at the corner and then back at his mother. He looked as if he had something to say, but he couldn’t. The words seemed too heavy for him.

“N…Nothing,” he murmured. “Uhm…Nothing.”

He then spun and walked away.

Mrs. Tiffin sighed and walked back to the sink to wash the carrots. She reached for the tap and was about to turn it on when she heard his voice again.

“Actually, Uhm..”

She spun with raised brows and saw him standing at the door again, looking nervous as hell.

“I…I was wondering if …you…uhm”

“Need some help? His mother completed.

Lance looked up at her with his mouth open, about to say another word, but he closed it again, looked to the floor and nodded quickly.

Molly and her mom looked away from Lance and looked at each other, before they looked back at him again.

He heard his mother sigh and then she said, “You can help with the carrots then."

Lance looked up and saw his mother beaming at him. He didn’t know how, or why, but he suddenly found himself smiling back, before walked over to the sink and did as he was told.

When dinner was ready, he helped set the table and sat down with his family for the first time in months, or was it years. Lance’s father moved his wide eyes from Lance and looked at his wife. He then mouthed a soundless, “What is going on?”

Lance’s mother quietly raised her finger to her lips, telling him to be quiet.

The next day, Lance’s mum got home from work early and was stunned when she saw Lance infront of the neighbors’ house, mowing the lawn. She closed the door of the car, and that was when Lance spun and smiled when his eyes landed on her. He switched off the lawnmower and pulled out his earphones.

“Hey Mum,” he called.

Mrs. Tiffin, too stunned to answer, just raised her hand and waved quietly.

“Hell Martha,” The neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Baxter, waved at her from their front pouch with smiles on their faces. “How was work?”

Mrs. Tiffin looked away from her son and waved at them with a smile. “Hey John! Hey Kate,” she called cheerfully. “Work was great.”

Mrs. Tiffin was stunned, but happy Lance had finally helped them with the lawn, because the truth was, no one else would have done it. John was in his early eighties while his wife, Kate was in her late seventies. Their kids had all grown up and were now living in other cities with families of their own.

Martha always saw them whenever ever they visited for Christmas with their family. So, you see, Lance was doing them a big favour.

“Are there groceries in the trunk?” Lance asked.

Martha looked at her son and surprisingly just realized he was shirtless. His tattooed covered skin was shimmering with sweat with his breathing appearing quite shallow, thanks to the task at hand.

“Well, yeah,” Martha replied as she walked to the back of the car. “But you should finish up with the lawn first. I’ll take care of the-”
Lance rolled his eyes and walked to the back of the car with her. “Oh God, Mum. Just open the damn trunk.”

“But…what about-”

“I’ll come back and finish it later.” Lance cut her off as he opened the trunk of the car, carried two grocery bags to his chest and walked into the house.

Moments later, he came back and finished with the lawn.

Later that evening, Lance’s dad was shocked when he came back from work and found Lance with Molly in the sitting room; their eyes glued to the flat screen TV on the wall. He then walked into the kitchen and kissed his wife.

“Hey honey,” he sighed, and Martha smiled at him.

He told her Lance was in the sitting room watching TV with his little sister, expecting her to be surprised, but she wasn’t.

“He mowed our neighbors’ lawn today,” she smiled at her husband.

Mr. Tiffin’s eyes widened a little, before he quietly walked away and moved upstairs, completely lost for words.

That night, after Martha tucked Molly into bed, she walked past Lance room door and was heading down the stairs. Suddenly, she heard Lance's room door open behind her.

“Mum?”

Martha spun with raised brows and her hand on the bannister. “Yes, sweetie?”

“Can you come in for a sec?”

Martha paused. She looked at his room door, and then back at him. “You mean, in your…” she trailed off while pointing to his room.

“Lance deadpanned. “Yes, Mum…my room.”

Martha eventually walked in and threw her eyes to every corner of the room. Looking like she had never been in here before, and Lance couldn’t blame her.

“Mum, I’m sorry.”

The words seemed to shock Martha as she spun; her eyes up to meet Lance. “Wha-what?”

“For everything, Mum,” Lance took his eye to the floor and then looked up at her again. “I’m sorry for being so difficult, and disrespectful and….” He stopped talking when his voice started to tremble and looked away from her; his eyes landing on a wall in the corner.

Martha saw his eyes starting to well and she couldn’t take it anymore. She moved to him and wrapped her arms around him in a warm embrace.

“It’s okay, sweetie.”

“I was such an asshole to you and dad,” Lance sobbed in his mother’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry.”

“Shhh,” that’s enough Lance. Just stop it.” Martha whispered heavily as she held him tighter.

She pulled away, cupped his face in her palms and looked into his bloodshot eyes, tears running down his cheeks.

“We love you, Lance. Your Dad, Molly and I. We love you so much...and we will never stop loving you,” Mrs. Tiffin’s voice was beginning to tremble just as her eyes were beginning to sting. “No matter what anyone says or does, we will always love you. No power on this earth can change that.”

Lance started to cry just before his mother pulled him in for another hug, pressing him against her body; something that seemed alien to her now after all these years.

She felt him sob on her shoulder as she squeezed her eyes shut.

A bead of tear rolled down her right cheek.

Her son was back.