chapter nine.

"This is just one of many possibilities. He could have simply left for the day," Deaton said as Ella fished out Harris's black bag that he never parts with. "Yeah, well. . Not without this," Ella said as she placed it on the table, she and Stiles beginning to look through it. Ella noticed something odd on one paper, handing it to Stiles for him to look at. The twos faces had the same expression; confusion. "What?" Deaton asked. Ella lifted up a paper, "This test is graded 'R'." Deaton furrowed his brows and walked up to Ella, taking the paper from her hands. "This one's an 'H'," Lydia said, holding up another paper. "Stiles, Ella, you two remember I told you 'druid' is the Gaelic word for 'wise oak'?" Deaton asked. "Yeah," Stiles And Ella said simultaneously.

"If a druid went down the wrong path, the wise oak was sometimes said to have become a dark oak. There's a Gaelic word for that as well. . Darach." Everyone looked down at the tests to see the papers with each letter of the word 'Darach.' "Holy shit."

Ella's legs were spread across the seat, her head laying on the window, bouncing on and off because of the bumps the bus came across. She turned her head to see Scott with a pained expression, and so she reached over and brushed his hair back, "Scott?" Scott opened his eyes to look at Daniella, confirming that he was okay. Ella smiled softly then took her iPod and placed her earbuds in her ears, trying to fall asleep. 'Sweater Weather' played in her ears, giving her a nice vibe, Ella lip syncing the words to herself. Even through her earbuds, Ella could hear her brothers annoying voice, causing her to mentally groan.

"Okay, next word: 'incongruous'," Stiles said. "Um, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked. "I can," Ella spoke up with her eyes closed, "It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened, incongruous." "Out of place, ridiculous, absurd," Scott replied. "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um. . Darach. Darach, it's a noun. We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" Stiles asked. When Scott didn't say anything, Stiles continued, "Next word 'Intransigent'." "Stubborn, obstinate," Scott said as the bus went over a harsh bump, causing him to groan.

"Oh, buddy, you okay? We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come," Stiles said, Ella taking out an earbud. "We had to. There's safety in numbers," Ella pointed out. "Yeah, well, Daniella, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre or bloodbath," Stiles started. "Carnage, slaughter," Ella continued. "Butchery–" Stiles was cut off by Scott letting out a small groan. "All right, Scott, I'm telling coach that–" "No. No, no, no. I'm all right," Scott assured Stiles. Scott then turned to Ella who wore a worried expression. "I'm all right, Ella," Scott said as he placed his hand on Ella's that was laying on the seat. Stiles looked in between them before saying, "Well, you don't look all right. Would you just let me see it?"

Scott put his hand down to cover his stomach, "I'm okay." "Just let us see it, okay?" Ella asked softly. Scott nodded, "Okay." He Then lifted up his shirt to reveal three deep scratch marks with blood surrounding them. Ella stood in her seat and reached forward to gently stroke them, not caring if she got blood on her hands. "Ella–" Scott started. "Sh," Ella shushed him, some of the blood appearing to disappear.

Stiles didn't even notice, that's how much blood there was, but Scott did, and it made him wonder why the blood cleared. "I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an Alpha. It'll take longer to heal," Scott informed the twins. "How come Boyd and Isaac are fine then?" Stiles asked, nodding towards the two werewolves that sat together. "I can't believe he's dead. I can't believe Derek's dead," Scott muttered to himself.