chapter twenty three.

Ella was shaken awake by Isaac. She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling the dirt surrounding her, "Y-you found us." Isaac pressed a soft kiss to Ella's forehead, "I got you, El." "Where's Stiles?" Ella choked out, her throat dry. "He's coming, Okay?" Isaac asked before moving on to Noah and Melissa. Suddenly, the ground above them began to collapse in, Ella staying still whilst everyone else began to freak out. "I'm gonna die. . aren't I?" Ella asked no in particular. Allison ran to Ella's side, hugging her, "You're not going to die. Okay? You're not going to die." Ella chuckled, "That's what everyone tells someone before they die."

Noah got up and held his daughter in his arms, more ground collapsing in. Ella made no effort to move, if she died, she died; that was her mindset. "Let's get out of here!" Noah shouted, just as the staircase fell down. Screams were everywhere, Ella still feeling drowsy. "It's blocked," Chris said, turning to Isaac, "What do you see? Anything?" Isaac shook his head as another large amount of land collapsed. "Look out!" Some land fell onto Ella's body, Noah quickly pulling her out from under it. "Ella!" When a beam from above was about to fall, Isaac quickly moved to hold it up so it wouldn't crush anyone.

Ella then gained strength, moving to help him. Isaac was shocked at Ella's strength, "How're you. .?" "Protecter," Ella said through clenched teeth. Ella's ocean eyes suddenly turned into electric blue irises, flashing Isaac's, causing him to look away from her eyes. More ground collapsed, Allison beside her father, Sheriff with Melissa, and Isaac and Ella carrying the weight of it all. "Is it just me," Ella breathed out, "Or is this place getting smaller?" A bright yellow light was now peeking through the holes of above, Ella looking to Isaac as their eyes quit shining. "The lunar eclipse," Ella panted. "We lose all our power," Isaac said through gritted teeth, "I can't do it. I can't hold it. I can't hold it." "Yeah, neither can I now that I have no power!" Ella shouted. Chris, Allison, Melissa, and Noah now held up some beams, Noah holding up the one that could destroy everything. "It's too much!" Ella shouted, "It's too heavy." Then everything stopped and the pressure was taken off of everyone's shoulders.

Their gazes went to Stiles who had set a metal bat where Noah was once holding the beam. Noah smiled, "I always said aluminum was better than wood." The father and son hugged before Stiles's gaze went to Ella. Ella had dirt smeared everywhere, her once white t-shirt was now gray, dry blood and dirt was everywhere on her forehead, and jeans had been ripped, and knees were now scraped due to having to sit on them to hold the beam. Ella sobbed as her older brother wrapped his arms around her, patting her hair softly as they both cried in each other's arms.

"You're okay now. I swear to God, I'm never letting you out of my sight again," Stiles said, shaking his head. Ella choked out a laugh, smiling at her brothers words, "Please, don't." Stiles squeezed his younger sister tight in his arms.

After a while, the wind stopped. Ella lowered her forearm from her eyes to look at everyone, "Is it over?" When no more wind blew, and the ground stopped falling in, everyone laughed out of relief. Stiles and Noah shared pats on the backs, Stiles taking his younger sister in his side and wrapping an arm around her whilst rubbing her bare arm up and down. Stiles's phone buzzed, causing Stiles to take it out of his pocket. Stiles looked at it once before answering, "Scott?" The mention of Scott's name caused Ella's ears to perk up and for her to take the phone from her brother, "Scott?" "Ella, are you okay?" Ella looked around, "Yeah, we're okay. We're all okay. How about you, you okay?" "Sort of," Scott sighed, "I'm sorry, Ella." "It's okay, Scott," Ella sighed, "Listen, you think you can come get us?"

"Yeah, of course," Scott stated. Ella smiled, "Great, okay. Um. . Uh, bring a ladder." Ella's comment made everyone laugh or crack a smile. Ella heard Scott laugh, "Okay, I'll be there a soon, okay? I love you." Ella said nothing but hung up the phone, passing it to Stiles. "Oh, my precious phone, it's been a while," Stiles said dramatically. Ella rolled her eyes, "Oh, shut up, you idiot."

Ella and Scott sat on Ella's bed, Ella playing with Scott's hands whilst Scott took a bite of a burger from McDonalds. "Tell me everything you're thinking right now," Ella said, out of the blue. Scott chuckled before nodding, "Well, Derek left. I honestly don't know if he's ever coming back, and part of me hopes so. But another part hopes that maybe he'll be okay somewhere else. My Dad doesn't look like he's gonna be leaving for a while, but just because he's staying Doesn't mean he's welcome. Stiles and I both feel it every day, just like Deaton said we would And it makes me think about that quote Jennifer used to start our first class. Because when I feel it, yeah, it's like I'm looking 'into the heart of an immense darkness'."

"So what do you do instead?" Ella asked, cocking her head to the side. "I look for you," Scott said, smiling. Ella returned the wide smile, dimples appearing. "And everyone else." "Let's go somewhere," Ella said, jumping up and down on the bed. Scott laughed, "Where?" "As long as I'm with you, it really doesn't matter," Ella smiled, shaking her head. "I've got somewhere in mind," Scott nodded, taking Ella's hand and leading her out of the room. Ella stopped abruptly, causing Scott to stop as well. "What is it?" Scott asked. "I forgot to tell. . well show and tell you something," Ella said, biting her lip.

Scott furrowed his brows, "What is it?" Ella pursed her lips and looked around, her eyes landing on Stiles who was having a Star Wars marathon behind them on the couch. Stiles raised a thumb up, nodding. Ella sighed before asking, "You ready?" Scott nodded. Ella nodded once before closing her eyes. . then opening.