chapter seventy four.

Scott lead Ella inside of his house, Ella stopping once she felt eyes on her. She reached forward and pulled Scott behind her, Scott letting out a gasp at the sudden pull. Ella's eyes glowed, giving off a light so they could now see Deaton walking up to them, "What'cha doing here, Deaton?" Deaton pulled out a jar of talons, "A werewolf with the talons of an eagle. Possibly a shape-shifter, known in eastern mythology as a Garuda." He pulled out another jar of claws, "Tracy's claws. The unmistakable claws of a werewolf. ." He pulled out a jar of scales, "But. . A werewolf who also bears the venom and the scales of a Kanima." "What do you even call that?" Ella raised a brow. "Personally, I call it terrifying. But at the moment, I'm more interested in how Tracy was able to get across the mountain ash," Deaton said. Ella narrowed her eyes, "I thought nothing supernatural can do that." "As did I. So if Tracy was able to cross the mountain ash and no one supernatural can do that–" "Tracy's not a supernatural," Scott cut Deaton off. "Exactly. If she wasn't born and she wasn't bitten, she had to have been made," Deaton nodded. "Made?" Ella asked. "Someone is trying to make supernatural creatures with non-supernatural means. And whoever they are, they're somehow managing to blur the lines between science and the supernatural," Deaton informed the couple.

"But there's more. Liam said he found another hole out in the woods," Scott said. "Burying them could be part of their process, a kind of incubation," Deaton nodded. "What are we supposed to do?" Ella asked. "Same thing you've always done. Protect your friends. Protect each other," Deaton said, causing Ella to look at Scott and for Scott to look at Ella. "So, what about someone like Tracy?" Scott asked. "I wish I could tell you. Hopefully, I'll have more answers soon. I'll be gone a few days," Deaton stated. "You're leaving?" Scott asked. "Just a few days," Deaton answered. "How scared should we be?" Ella raised a brow. "I've lived in the world of the supernatural a long time. But I'm still a doctor. Still a man of science. Something like this happens, it rattles the foundation of everything you believe. Something like this shakes you to the core," Deaton said. "Something like what?" Ella asked. "The rules. . The rules have changed," Deaton said. After a moment of silence he spoke again, "I should get going." With that, he left the couple alone in the house.

Ella licked her lips and made her way up the stairs, Scott following close behind her. When they got into the room, Ella sat on Scott's bed, watching him change into white muscle tank and gray joggers before throwing a large t-shirt at her, hitting her in the face. Ella rolled her eyes and took it, taking off her shirt and pants then putting on the shirt. "So what did you and Theo talk about?" Scott asked, causing Ella to feel a pain in her stomach. "I gave him my own kind of interrogation," Ella said to him. "He didn't try to make a move on you? The way he looks at you is the way I look at you when I. . you know what I mean," Scott said, causing Ella to laugh. "No, he didn't make a move on me, Scott," Ella said as she laid down, soon seeing Scott hover over her. She shook her head at him and placed her hands on his cheeks, bringing him into a passionate kiss. He rested his hand on her hip, Ella flipping their positions and grinding onto him lightly. His hand trailed up her thigh before it gripped her bottom, causing her to let out a small squeak. "What was that?" Scott asked as they pulled apart. Ella shook her head and shrugged, "I have no idea." Scott shook his head and brought her in for another kiss, turning them over only for them to fall onto the floor. Ella felt Scott's body weight crush her small body, Ella letting out short and jagged breaths, "Scott! Scott– I cant – I can't breathe." Scott immediately made his way off of her, helping her up and onto the bed, "I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" Ella shook her head, "No. You didn't."

Ella gulped, looking down at her knees. Scott lifted her chin with his index finger and thumb, "Hey, what's wrong?" Ella shook her head, "Nothing. . nothing. I'm just tired I guess." Scott nodded and got onto the bed and under the covers, lifting them so Ella could lay beside him. Ella got under the covers and snuggled closer to him, kissing his lips softly. Scott smiled softly into the kiss then pulled away, kissing her forehead.

"If 99.9% of our DNA sequence is the same as other humans, what could account for the missing 0.1% difference?" Mrs Finch asked, turning away from her drawing of a DNA fragment, "Theo?" Ella looked at Theo through the corner of her eye. "Um, nucleotides," he answered. "That's right," Mrs Finch said, seeing Ella's raised hand. "Yes, Ella?" Mrs Finch asked. "Can there be more than one species in the same DNA?" Ella asked. "No, but there can be multiple sets of DNA in the same individual. We call that a chimera. Anyone know where that term comes from?" Mrs Finch asked, seeing Sydney's raised hand, "Sydney?" "Greek mythology. It's a lion with a goat coming out of its back and a tail that ends in the head of a snake," Sydney said. "That's right, Sydney. Do you want to read us the full Wikipedia entry off your phone?" Mrs Finch asked, causing the brunette to put her phone down, "But that does get us into the next topic of mutation. As you know from the reading, DNA is a fragile molecule. Isn't it, Scott? Or did you miss last night's assigned reading?"

Ella looked at Scott who looked at Mrs Finch, "Kind of." "Kind of or yes?" Mrs Finch asked. "Mostly yes," Scott admitted. "Well, then thank you for another helpful transition in topic," Mrs Finch walked over to her desk and picked up a stack of papers, "Drop forms. All those now acutely aware that they do not belong in this class, you should fill one out. The rest will be on my desk." Everyone collected their books together, Scott getting up to look at the drop out forms. Ella took that as her chance to turn to Theo and point at him, "Scott doesn't find out that you tried making a move on me, Okay?" Theo looked hesitant before nodding. Ella nodded, "Thank you."

"Did you get in to see Lydia?" Ella asked Stiles as he and Malia walked over to her, Scott, and Kira. "No. I tried using my free period but she's still in the ICU and no one outside family is allowed in," Stiles answered her. "We got one thing," Malia said as she slammed the bestiary down onto the table. "Anything in here about half-werewolves, half-Kanimas?" Kira asked as she flipped through the book. "The Chimera," Scott said. "Um, what?" Stiles asked. "Chimera. It's a creature made of incongruous parts. And if Liam said he found two burial sites, it means Tracy's not the only one," Scott said. "Who's the second Chimera?" Ella asked. "And why would they bury them?" Stiles added. "Deaton thinks it's part of their process," Scott answered the twins. "The people in masks," Malia nodded as Ella stopped Kira on a page of Wendigos.

Snores escaped Ella's lips, a large one waking her own self up as she looked at Malia who had been calling her name for the past five minutes. "Hm, what?" Ella asked, smacking her lips. "I'm heading out," Malia said to Ella. Ella nodded as Malia turned to Stiles, "Stiles, wake up and take your little sister home. I'll meet you two there in a bit." Stiles groaned and waved his hand in the air. "I'll wake his dumbass up," Ella nodded to Malia who nodded back and said goodbye before walking out. Ella looked back at her brother and took a book, slamming it shut in his ear causing him to spaz as he woke up. "Wake up, idiot, Malia just left but she's gonna meet us at the house in a bit. And I'm hungry and I want Burger King," Ella whined. "You're always hungry," Stiles rolled his eyes as he got up and grabbed the books so they could put them back in the shelves. After returning all the books they headed outside. "But to be honest I'm kind of hungry, too," Stiles said. Ella chuckled as they got into the Jeep, Stiles turning the key only for it to make a weird sound. The twins sighed before getting out of the Jeep and walking to the hood. Stiles lifted the hood up, a large cloud of black smoke emerging from underneath the alternator. The two coughed as they waved their hands in front of their face. "Well this isn't good," Stiles coughed. Ella narrowed her eyes, "No shit Sherlock."

Ella walked back towards the Jeep and grabbed the roll of duct tape and handed it to Stiles. Stiles thanked his sister before taking it and beginning to wrap it around the hose. "Have you ever thought about trying something other than duct tape?" Ella asked, causing her brother to look up at her. "Ella, we can't afford any actual tools so we're sticking with duct tape, Okay?" Stiles asked. Ella sighed and nodded, continuing to watch her brother. Then suddenly, Donovan ran behind them and placed his hands on their shoulders which caused them to let out pained shrieks.