chapter thirty five.

Ella woke up the next morning, eyes snapping open and smiling wide. It was officially Halloween day, Ella's favorite holiday of them all. Ella bounced off her bed and ran to her closet, taking an outfit that looked similar to what Veronica Lodge from Riverdale would wear, curling her hair and putting on a pearl necklace before she slipped on black heals. Stiles knocked at his sisters door, "Ella? You ready?" Ella swung her bedroom door open, smiling with a sparkle in her crystal blue eyes, "I'm ready." "Okay, Miss Lodge," Stiles smiled.

Ella leaned against the locker beside Stiles's, sighing as coach came through the hall with a megaphone, "Class starts in five minutes. Just because there's no power don't expect there to be no school." "That was a triple negative. Very impressive, Coach," Stiles called out. "Copy that," Coach said back. Stiles and Ella smiled. Stiles opened up his locker, a set of keys falling out of it. The twins looked down at them in confusion, sharing a look before Stiles picked them back up, "Oops! Hello. Where did you come from?" Ella leaned off the locker, seeing Kira at hers staring at her with a fearful expression. Ella began to walk towards her, but Scott took a grip of her wrist, "No, stop." "What? I need to talk to her," Ella said, turning to look at her boyfriend.

Scott shook his head, Stiles joining his side. "No, you need to remember someone left a coded message telling Barrow to kill her," Scott said. "Which is why I need to talk to her," Ella said, waving her hands around as she glanced over her shoulder to see Kira still at her locker. "Ella, no way. Until we figure out if she's just another psychotic monster that's going to start murdering everybody, I vote against any and all interaction," Stiles said. Ella looked down at her heels, Scott following her gaze and his eyes widened slightly; Ella never wore heels. Ella looked back up, meeting eyes with Scott, "What if she's like you? Or me?" "That girl walked through 1. 21 Gigawatts of electricity. She's not like you or Scott," Stiles said.

"What if she's a protecter that also uses electricity volts?" Ella asked, biting her pale pink lips. Scott shook his head, "There's only one kind of protecter, remember? We searched it up." Ella sighed, rolling her eyes and turning, walking away.

Ella walked through the halls during lunch, trying to find her best friend. She finally caught sight of Kira on the floor eating a sandwich, Ella walked up to her, sitting beside her, "Mind if I join?" Kira only looked up at the brunette before putting down her sandwich. "I don't want to talk about it," Kira said. Ella raised her brows, "You don't want to talk about me joining you?" Kira gave Ella a look, causing Ella to nod, "Okay. Want to talk about food? Personally, pizza and macaroni is my favorite, but not together, you know? I prefer them separate. Oh, and mashed potatoes with macaroni, now that's a good combination." Ella brought a laugh out of Kira, causing Ella to smile. Kira calmed, "Do you have your phone? I'm going to show you something no one else has ever seen. No one except for Barrow. Take a picture of me. And use the flash."

Ella nodded slowly, taking her phone out and leaning back, pointing the camera towards Kira and using the flash to snap her picture. Ella looked at the picture, seeing a firey gold figure surrounding her best friend. Ella's jaw dropped, "Whoa." "Yeah," Kira nodded. "What is it?" Ella asked, looking at Kira. "I don't know. It started showing up a couple of months ago. It only happens with the flash on. And I don't know how, but Barrow knew about it. He used my own phone to take pictures of me," Kira explained. "That's why you asked for it back," Ella breathed out, brushing a hand through her hair. "If someone sees those pictures. ." Kira trailed off. Ella's eyes widened, "We need to get your phone back."