chapter seventeen.

"Okay, so, what does this kid's homework have to do with finding Deaton?" Cora asked. "Because it's not just homework, okay? It's a project on geomagnetic fields. They flow through the earth. They can even be affected by lunar phases, all right? Now, look at this. This is a note from Harris on Danny's proposal," Stiles explained, holding a paper out. Ella sipped her vanilla shake before reading, "'I strongly advise you to choose another subject. The ideas here, while innovative and thoughtful, border on pseudo-science. Not suitable for class." "Harris wasn't just a sacrifice. He knew something," Scott said, looking at Stiles.

Stiles put out a map, "Now, check this out. Allison's dad wasn't the only one with a map, all right? Danny had one too. Danny marked all the telluric currents, okay? Now, the weird thing about beacon hills is that it actually is a beacon. You wouldn't believe how much energy flowing through the earth is around this town." Scott looked bewildered as he placed pieces of Chris Argent's map on top of Danny's, "Stiles, look, they match. All right, there's three places, right? Where they're kidnapped. ." Scott circled Beacon Hills National Bank, "And then the place where their body was found." "Look, that's right on the telluric current," Lydia pointed out. "So, maybe where he was sacrificed is somewhere in between," Scott guessed.

"Let me see that," Scott handed Stiles the pen, "You said there's six more bodies to be found. Deaton's one of them. Got to be somewhere in between, right?" Cora placed a hand atop of Stiles's, "Stop," she moved his hand down to the National bank, "He's in the vault. He's in the same vault." "All righty, then, looks like we're having a trip downtown," Ella stated, motioning for everyone to collect the papers that were on the table. She sipped more of her shake, beginning to walk out of the building. "Guys, hold on," Lydia called, causing everyone to stop. "Lydia, we don't have time," Scott said. Cora looked up from her phone, "It's Boyd. The plan didn't work. They cut the power." Everyone looked at Scott, everything silent except for Ella's slurping. "It's just like he said. Go. I can save Deaton myself," Scott said, moving past Ella. "What? Scott, what about us?" Stiles asked. "Cora can't get there fast enough without you. Go. We can save both of them," Scott said, walking out.

Ella walked out right after him, throwing away her shake in the trash can outside of the clinic, "Scott! Wait! I'm coming with you." "No you're not, stay with Stiles, okay? They need all the help they can get," Scott said, throwing his leg over the bike and sitting on it. "But I want to go with you. Deaton is real important to you, and I want to be there with you whilst you save him and I stand back like the stupid human I am," Ella stated, stepping closer to Scott's bike.

Scott turned it on, "Ella, stay with Stiles. I can do this on my own. Now go, we can't waste much time."

"But Scott—" Scott cut Ella off, "Ella. Stay." Ella rolled her eyes, "I'm going with you. No further discussion." Ella sat at the back of the bike and wrapped her arms tightly around Scott's torso. Scott sighed at Ella's stubbornness then drove off to the vault.

When they arrived at the vault, an expression of horror crossed Ella's face once she saw Deaton hanging by his wrists, eyes closed and beads of sweat running down his forehead and face. Scott immediately ran towards him, only to be pushed back by an invisible dome; mountain ash, the one thing no supernatural creature could cross. "Mountain ash," Ella muttered to herself before jogging over to Scott and helping him off the floor, steadying him before stepping back. Scott stepped closer to the ash, placing his hands on the invisible shield and began to push.

Ella brought her forearm up to her eyes to cover them from the blinding light that came from the bending of the shield. Scott screamed as he began to push through, Ella's eyes widening. Deaton's eyes opened for about two seconds before they fluttered shut again. "Come on, Scott!" Ella shouted. Scott screamed and kept pushing, before he was pushed back into Ella's arms, the two falling onto the ground because of the force that was applied. Ella took Scott's face into her hands, "You were doing it. You were going through that shield, and you can do it. I'm right here, Okay? I'm here for mortal support. To help."