Chapter 8

We entered the polished bedroom and I sat on the bouncy bed. Aunt Faye holds an object in her hands and gave it to me. I scanned and touched the object, it feels like paper but harder.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Your father calls it a photo."

"A photo?" I raised an eyebrow and she flipped the photo, revealing 4 persons. This object amazed me.

From the left, a man about his 30's with brown hair and glasses holds the brunette boy, my brother. From the right, a woman who also seems to be in her 30's with black hair and hazel brown eyes, holds a brunette girl. Then I realized it was me and my family.

"Do you know their names?" I said as tears threatens to fall once more. She shook her head in disagreement, "they died when you were so young." She frowned, "you were the only one left, Gwen. Your brother was 9 years old back then."

I was now crying hard infront of Aunt Faye, she just hugged me and comforted me.

An hour later I decided to head back to HQ, I hugged and thanked my Aunt before mounting on Arion's back, I took the photo out of my satchel and hugged it to my chest, I looked back once more to see my Aunt waving at me with watery eyes then rode off.

Arion neighed when we reached halfway through town and turned his head in a direction. I followed and turned to see Captain Levi on his horse aswell.

What is he doing here in Sina?

Shit. I'm not supposed to be here.

I drove Arion to an alley to avoid getting caught by Levi. I waited for 10 minutes, I peeked and Levi was now gone. Then we continued our journey back to HQ.

My body plopped down in bed from exhaustion, I took out the photo and touched it, best birthday gift ever.

Mother looks so beautiful. I thought to myself. I observed my brother and father, I guess we both got our looks from our father, brown hair and turquoise eyes.

My eyes trailed off to my bracelet.
Gwenyvere Rose Regaey. I used to think I'm only plain Gwen Regaey.

I roamed the whole building since I have nothing to do, the place is unusually empty. No boisterous brats running down the hall, no Hanji talking about titans, no cadets training, it seems like I'm the only person in the big building.

I decided to go to the library to read and study, still there was not a single person in the place. I sighed and grabbed a novel then sat in the corner.

My head cocked to the direction of the door when I heard it creak as it opens. Levi steps in, tea in hand and with his signature bored look then sits infront of me.

Third-person POV

Levi grabs one of the books from the pile Gwen brought and starts reading it. Curious, Gwen stares at him with confused eyes and said, "since when did you start reading books?"

He looked up from reading and shot Gwen an annoyed look. "Since today."

"Don't you have anything to do? Aren't you always busy?" Gwen then remembered seeing him roam around the streets of Sina, but put the thought aside.

"No, I'm fine here with you." He replies.

Shocked, Gwen was doubting things.

"What?"

"You heard me, Regaey."

"Why?"

"What?"

"You heard me, captain." Gwen smirks.

Levi sighed and answered, "sitting in my office since this morning is a pain in the ass."

But Gwen knew he wasn't in his office earlier this morning, but she tends to shrug it off.

Gwen's stomach grumbled in hunger and she knew it was already past 6:30 and she has to eat dinner. She stood from her seat, "I'm gonna go eat dinner now, Levi. You coming?"

He holds the cup by the brim and brings it to his mouth, he placed it gently then shook his head 'no'. Gwen returned the books and started heading towards the mess hall.