Chapter 74

Gwen's POV

"So she's dad's younger sister?" Eren asked as we rode our horses in the streets of Mitras.

I nodded, "This will be your first time meeting her, be nice."

Eren nodded and chuckled, then his eyes landed on my hand as he squinted his eyes.

I noticed his curiousity, then I realized what he was looking at.

"Nee-San. . ." He mumbled. "Did Captain Levi. . ." Eren pointed to the ring on my left hand; his faced slightly shocked.

I smiled genuinely, looking down on my ring. "Yeah. . .when all of this is over."

"Do you really think so?" He asked, concerned.

"Who knows," I shrugged. "But if ever, I'd want to spend my remaining years living freely."

Eren turned to me, a cheeky smile stretching across his face. "Then I'll make sure that will happen! I'll make sure you get to live that life, Nee-San. Captain would want that just as much as you do."

"It's funny to be optimistic in times liks these," I scoffed. "I'm not even sure I'll last until the end of the expedition."

"You will and you must if you want to marry Heichou," Eren said, his mouth twitching into a smile. "He may not show it, but I can tell he really loves you."

"You're too young to learn about marriage Eren," I rolled my eyes, noticing the manor infront of us. "We're here."

Eren's eyes widened in amazement, scanning the large house infront of us. "You lived here?"

"For 4 years, until I joined the military."

We dismounted our horse and lead them to the stables. Then we walked up the steps and stood infront of the large door.

My hands shook nervously as I brought my fist up to knock. I missed her. . .she must think I'm dead considering the fact that I haven't seen her in 2 years.

Then I knocked three times, hearing footsteps shuffling a few seconds later.

The door swung open, revealing Aunt Faye in her apron. "How may I--"

Her eyes widened, mouth agape as she looked up and saw us. "G-Gwen!" She stuttered tackling me in a hug. "Levi of the Scouts told me you were dead. . ."

I chuckled lightly, "Well I'm here now."

Then her eyes diverted to Eren, a tear rolling down her cheeks. "E-E-Eren? Is that. . .really you?"

Eren smiled shyly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Hello, Aunt Faye."

Aunt Faye wrapped Eren in an embrace, "Grisha said I'll never get to see you again. . .and yet here you are, appearing infront of my door."

Before Eren could speak, Aunt Faye pulled us inside the house and prepared us food. Eren had his face in awe, admiring every part of the luxurious living room.

"I baked your favorite apple pie Gwen, what a coincidence!" Aunt Faye said as she placed the food ontop of the table. "You should've told me you were coming, then I would make Eren's favorite food too."

"Then you wouldn't be so surprised," I laughed, handing Eren a slice.

Eren's eyes lit up as he took a bite, then he hungrily ate the whole slice.

"I'm so sorry for Grisha, Eren, Gwen." Aunt Faye turned to us, sadness in her eyes. "He has always wanted to save this place. I convinced him that there's another way, but he chose to turn his children into shifters."

I divert my attention to her from the plate, "You knew this whole t-time?"

She nodded slowly and turned to Eren. "Eren, Grisha knows what he's doing, so it's no mistake that he entrusted humanity in your whole hands. I know you can do it." She grabbed Eren's hands in hers, a tear rolling down her face.

Eren's eyes softened, squeezing Aunt Faye's wrinkling hands. "Of course, Aunt Faye. For humanity." He smiled, then it turned to a cheeky one, "Nee-San's getting married after everything and I will make that happen!"

I blushed madly, sinking in my seat. "E-E-Eren!"

Aunt Faye had her hands clasped over her mouth, her eyes lit up in excitement. "G-Gwenyvere. . .I'm so proud of you," she wiped a tear as I only chuckled in response. "Who might that lucky man be?"

"Captain Levi!" Eren beamed.

"Humanity's Strongest?" She said, "He was a fine gentleman, attractive too. But I didn't take him as one to be up for relationships, how much more marriage."

I laughed at what she said, knowing it was all true. "I thought so too," I smiled, remembering the memories we shared, then I frowned.

"What's wrong?" She asked, noticing my sudden change of moods, "Are you having doubts?"

"Yeah, about the marriage to happen," I sighed.

"Why? No one's gonna-" Aunt Faye stopped as her eyes travelled to my hair who has almost reached its limit. "Oh my, I just n-noticed y-your hair. . ."

I nodded slowly, softly combing it. "You knew about it too?"

A tear rolled down her left cheek, nodding as she walked towards me, embracing me softly. "Oh honey, don't think about it," she caressed my hair, whispering softly, "You're not gonna die; you're gonna end this all and you'll marry him, alright?"

Thinking about it made me shed a tear. Chances of me dying after the expedition are bigger than chances of me actually living the life I want.

I'm not even sure if I'll reach 10 years more.

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I'll live a happy life with him."