Chapter 53

Levi's POV

After a few speeches Erwin gave to the cadets about the murder, he called a private meeting for the officers and the threat letter was only kept a secret.

Everyone in the brigade were scared and tensed after a sudden murder. Some even wanted to back out of the expedition.

I can't blame them. They joined to fight for humanity and to be killed by titans, not to be murdered as a threat.

My neck hurts from time to time since I've been facing down my whole life; not even bothering to look forward.

I faced the ceiling as I gave it a stretch, then I turned to Erwin and the other officers discussing about what to do with the threat given to Gwen.

I then turned to my side, watching Gwen so eager to form a plan. Determination, but sadness and anger in her eyes.

"It must be the person behind the Armored Titan who did it!" Shouted a squad leader.

"I got reports from the other cadets that were nearest to Cadet Yuki when the murder happen," Hiruka said, holding back his anger. "None of them saw it happen, but the first to see him was Cadet Springer since they were partnered for the test but were separated."

"If you could just let me do what I want Erwin and follow their requests!" Gwen slammed her hands on the table. "That's the safest plan we got. If we follow your plan to ambush them, it will cost more lives, and there will be no more left for the expedition."

Erwin rubbed his temples, clearly frustrated. "No we're not giving you up."

"I won't completely give myself up!" Gwen fought, "We just need to know who they are!"

"It's obviously the Armored Titan," said Moblit, substituting Hanji.

"Might be, might be not." Hiruka said calmly. "A skilled assassin perhaps."

"Do you have any idea why they were after you, Gwen?" Erwin asked.

Gwen shook her head. "This only happened now, when I arrived here."

I grit my teeth in anger as I thought of losing her once again. I held my teacup the way I used to hold it and brought it to my lips.

"If they were aware of you even before you came back here," Hiruka mumbled, "they should've took advantage of you when you were alone these past two years. But to think that they attacked days after you joined us again, that gives us a hint that the attackers just recently knew."

"The enemy might just be near us," a squad leader added.

"Then that must be why the Armor Titan appeared in the forest without letting any citizen know. . ." Hiruka trailed off.

"He might be one of us." Erwin said sternly.

I slammed the cup on the table, breaking it into pieces; shards sticking to my palm as blood was dripping.

Everyone turned to me with a shocked expression, then I clicked my tongue and stood up.

"Excuse me," I said coldly and left the room. I took my cravat and wrapped my bloody hand as I walked back to my office

"Levi!"

Great. She's following me.

I didn't respond as I continued walking until I arrived. I was about to close the door when her foot stopped it and she walked inside without my permission.

I sat on my chair and buried my face in my left hand, sighing deeply.

"Where are the bandages?" She asked, "Oh wait, nevermind, found it."

She approached me and took my injured hand.

"I can do it myself," I said.

"Don't be stubborn, Corporal." Gwen said and unwrapped the cravat, taking a clean bandage. "What's on your mind?" She asked as she carefully picked the small shards.

"None of your business."

Then she started wrapping the bandage. "You always say that, that's why you're suffering on your own."

After wrapping the bandage I stood up, head bent down as I was about to walk to my table to finish my paperwork, when Gwen stopped infront of me.

"What are you--"

"Face forward sometimes," she said as she lifted my chin from facing the ground.

"Tch."

"Makes you see better the path you're walking on."

I slightly bent my head to meet her eyes full of sadness and confusion. Then as I blinked, she placed her lips on mine.

My eyes widened, then I cupped her cheeks with my hand as I kissed her back. I was longing for this moment.

Then she broke the kiss.

"I-I-I'm sorry," she stuttered, embarrassed. "I h-have no idea what's gotten into me."

"I-It's. . ." I tried my best not to stutter as I realized she still doesn't remember anything about our past. "It's okay." I said and walked to my table.

"Don't tell anyone about this!" She said, "And please forget about it."

I stared at her and nodded.

"I'll help you with your paperwork," she took few of my papers and practiced forging my signature. "Anyway," she started, "what's the sudden mission that Erwin mentioned earlier?"

"There was a report that says there was a hole found in Wall Rose," I replied monotonously. "Some cadets were sent in advance to secure the area right now."

"So we'll meet them at Wall Rose tomorrow?"

I nodded, then the room was silent again.

Third person POV

15 HOURS EARLIER

"Erwin called for a sudden mission tomorrow," said the taller man.

"I can't wait for 1 week," said Zeke. "If you have the chance, take her and Eren."

"But what about the plan that she'll meet us?" asked the blond man.

"That'll be if you fail to capture them tomorrow."

The two men nodded and zipped down the wall.