Chapter 72

Gwen's POV

"Marley. . ." Erwin trailed off, ". . .across the ocean, beyond these walls. Is that all Bertholdt said?"

"Yes, Commander." I replied sternly, "If ever everything Bertholdt and Zeke told me was true, they'll most likely show up during our expedition to reclaim Wall Maria knowing that me and Eren will be there."

Erwin nodded, eyebrows furrowed as he laid out another plan, predicting possibilities.

Then I spoke, "Sir, whatever happens, you must reach the basement. I want that to be our top priority."

Erwin faced me, "Of course, Lieutenant."

I nodded and leaned back, in deep thought. Erwin appointed me back to Lieutenant right away when I regained my memories, that leaves with the Survey Corps having two lieutenants -- Hiruka and I. It got me thinking of all the responsibilities I'll have to handle both inside the Survey Corps headquarters and during the expedition.

My mind snapped back to reality as I felt a hand on mine.

"What's on your mind?" Levi asked without turning to me as he rubbed circles on my hand.

"Everything," I breathed.

"Where are you heading after this?" He questioned quietly in his usual stern manner.

"To Kinn. Then I'm planning to bring Eren and see Aunt Faye." I replied.

He nodded, taking his hand away from mine as Erwin handed him stacks of papers.

"If there are any concerns about our plan, just approach me." Erwin said, "Now, please continue preparing for the expedition. Dismissed."

We all stood up and exited the office, while I walked beside Levi. "Let me help you," I offered.

"It's fine," he replied stoicly as he adjusted the papers on his arms.

"Have you seen Kinn by the way?" I asked.

"In the training grounds with the other cadets."

I nodded and walked outside with Levi trailing behind me. We stopped under a shed, watching the cadets spar while some were practicing with their gears.

"Hey Gwen," Levi spoke as I divert my attention to him, replying with a hum. "Did the kid ever mention a brother?"

I flashed a confused face and realized he was looking at Kinn. "Oh yeah, he did. He said they lived in the underground for awhile."

"How'd you met him?"

"Why the sudden interest, Levi?" I smirked as he only clicked his tongue. "I found him wandering around an abandoned village somewhere near Shiganshina. He was on the brink of death that day. But I took him on my adventures; trained him, toughened him up.

"I asked him how he ended up in titan territory when he actually came from the underground, he was actually told to run far since thugs raided their house, so he went past the 9th stairwell. Said he was looking for food and money, but everyone inside the walls pushed him away."

I turned to him as he was silently listening to my story, then I continued. "I helped him with the money, he needed it to pay a debt with the people from the underground. After everything was settled, he only had one goal left, but it was impossible for him to pursue that goal since he was back to square one. And Kenny found him, then we met again."

He still held a straight face, "What did Kenny do to you?" He asked coldly.

"Uh. . .nothing really," I answered, "Were you close?"

He shook his head 'no', "I lived with him for awhile, and I just recently found out we were blood-related."

"Where is he now?"

"Dead."

My lips parted as I looked down, "He killed Yuki. . ."

"I'm sorry for that," Levi replied.

"I-it's fine."

He exhaled sharply and faced back to me, still clutching the papers. "I'll head back to my office," he said.

I smiled and grabbed his chin, placing my lips on his as he kissed back for a few seconds and he broke away.

"I'll be in my office if you need me," he said stoicly before walking away.

Third person POV

Levi rummaged through his cabinets and desk, looking for a certain box. After a few minutes, he finally found it. He opened it, revealing a bunch of objects that reminded him of his past self.

Levi picked up a potrait that showed three individuals -- a ravenette, a red head, and a blonde.

"Tch. This is the only portrait I have of them," Levi muttered, taking a scissors and cuts out the dirty-blond from the portrait.

Under a bunch of papers, he saw a Survey Corps badge. He took it with his slim fingers and stared at the name stitched to it.

Farlan

Levi took the cut out picture and the badge in his hand, putting the box back inside the closets and left his office.

"Kinn!" Gwen waved at the young boy as she approaches. "Ready to go?"

Kinn approached the brunette, slinging on his backpack. "Yep! Do I get a horse?"

Gwen nodded, leading him to the stables. "Let's start with the Underground, see if they know your brother."

"Sure," Kinn nodded, mounting on his horse.

Until a voice called them from afar.

"Oi brats," Levi said, walking towards them. "Where are you going?"

"Ah Levi," Gwen said, approaching the man. "I was just about to help Kinn pursue his goal, you know the one I was talking about."

Levi raised a brow, "And what might that be?"

"We're going to find his brother!" Gwen beamed.

Levi's lips parted, his eyes landing on Kinn who looked so eager to finally find his brother.

I'm sorry.

Gwen noticed Levi's sudden changed of expressions, she cupped her hand on his cheek, making him face her.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

Levi shook his head and went back to his usual stoic face. Clearing his throat, he spoke, "I need a word with Church."

"Right now?" Gwen asked, "We were just about to leave, and the sun will set any minute."

"Now," Levi replied, hands behind his back. "Tell him to meet me in the rooftop."

"Okay then," Gwen said, calling Kinn as Levi made his way to the rooftop.