Chapter 71

Gwen's POV

"You can go ahead to my room," Levi said emotionlessly, sitting down on his desk. "I'll just finish these."

I walked up to him and sat in the chair opposite to him.

"Ah, right," he started, slipping off the bracelet he wore and placed it infront of me. "You left this on your floor."

I looked down on the object and just simply stared at it. "You're giving it back?" I asked.

"It was never with me." He replied flatly, reading some papers.

"Last time I remembered, before I 'died', I told Hanji to give it to you."

He froze and looked up, a slightly shocked look on his face.

"Well, okay," I shrugged, taking the bracelet, "If you don't want it, I'll take it back."

"Tch. Jewelries are nuisances in battle."

"Says the man who gave me a necklace during my 18th birthday." I retorted.

Levi kept quiet and just simply went back to his work.

I remembered everything, Levi. I said to myself, taking a deep breath, sat upright and spoke, "Why did you lie?"

He looked up to me, "What?"

"I remembered everything."

Levi stared at me with sadness and relief in his steel, gray eyes. "I see," he said, "about what?"

"Us."

His hand stopped writing, pursing his lips, his eyes met mines. "If I told you, would you even still feel the same?"

"I-I. . .it took me time to process everything. . ." I stammered. "But you lied, Levi. If you think our past together was not worth remembering, you were wrong."

"I had to lie." Levi said coldly.

"All I wanted was an honest answer. . .a-and y. . .you were my lover for fuck's sake!" I growled. "And I didn't even know, that, you -- were a big part of my memory." I exhaled sharply, finally calming down. "I did hate you the moment you kicked me during the trial. . .but feelings doesn't change easily, Levi, even if it took me 2 years to return." Then I breathed steadily, "Are we still gonna go back to what we were before?"

He didn't bother facing me, nor look me in the eyes and see how serious I am.

"Gwen, if you're just gonna rant about that, I suggest you go ahead and take a rest," Levi said calmly.

My eyes widened in disbelief. So he doesn't care? That's all he's have to say? I looked down on the ground, tears starting to fall. I formed fists, gritting my teeth. What other lies did people feed me?

"A-are you still in denial then?" I said, trying to sound confident.

He lets out an exasperated sigh, "Let's talk about this later."

I stood up, still facing the ground as my hands were clenched tightly and I started walking towards the door, not to the door to his bedroon but the door that leads outside.

"Oi, where are you going?" I heard him say, "My bedroom's not there--"

Then I closed the door shut and left his office.

Levi's POV

Hanji was right. I should've told her the truth, in that way all I had to worry about was her believing it.

But that was the reason why I hid it in the first place.

She looked so hurt and betrayed. . .

I put down my pen as I buried my face in my palms. "I need to explain," I mumbled, standing up.

I left my office and casually walked down the hall, searching for her. "Oi, Eren," I said as I saw the brunette boy. "Where's Gwen?"

"She's in her room, Captain," he replied as I waved him off and scurried to her old bedroom.

I brought up my fist and knocked three times, I got no reply but I still waited for minutes.

Something must have happened.

I quickly opened the door and stepped inside, only to see her on bed.

"Eren, I told you--"

"It's me," I spoke, slowly closing the door behind me. She didn't say a word as she slowly sat up. I took a deep breath and walked to her. "I'm not a man of words, so don't expect some long sweet message."

"Levi if you have nothing else to say--"

"I'm sorry," I cut her off and stood infront of her. "I shouldn't have lied."

She still sat quiet and continued staring at her hands.

"I missed you, brat." I said softly.

Suddenly, she wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her head on my chest. My hand slowly snaked around her waist while my other gently caressed her hair.

"Sorry for breaking my promise," she mumbled.

"What promise?"

"To come back alive after the expedition."

So she did remember everything. "Tch, it's fine." I said and changed the subject, "Do you still feel the same? Two years ago?" I asked in a low voice.

She looked up at me, her mesmerizing green eyes gazing at mines. "I've always carried these feelings around for the past two years, I just didn't remember for who it was."

Her statement brought me to supress a small, pure smile.

"How 'bout you?" She asked as I returned back to my emotionless face.

I clicked my tongue, "I never stopped loving you."

She smiled shyly and looked down, "Cheesy. But yeah, Hanji told me you visited my grave every single day and brought roses per visit. She even had to plant more in the garden so you wouldn't run out of roses to pluck." She laughed, making my heart skip a beat.

"What else did you remember?" I questioned.

"The small cabin," she replied, "that's were I used to train Hiruka. I remembered telling myself that I'd bring you there after the expedition."

It must be broken after the fight already.

"And the first time I talked to you," she chuckled, "You said you were my corporal but I replied: Corporal or not, we are still the same soldiers fighting for humanity. And you made me clean the entire HQ for 2 weeks. You were such an ass.

". . .and the fight we had before the expedition," her voice lowered down, as she replaced the smile with a frown. "I never cheated on you, Levi. If you still won't believe--"

"I know," I replied in a monotone voice, "it was Petra who did it."

She widened her eyes, "P-Petra? W-why?"

"Who knows?"

She sighed and lowered her hands to my chest as we were slowly leaning in. My hands moved up to cup her cheeks; our faces milimeters apart.

Time slowed down as the gap between us closed, my lips feeling hers. Her familiar vanilla scent romanticizing the moment I have longed for. Her soft, thin, mint-flavored lips danced perfectly with mines as I rub my thumb softly on her cheeks.

I slowly broke the kiss and rested my forehead on hers. Our eyes admiring one another's.

"Get some rest, Gwen," I said.

She nodded and pecked me one last time before laying back to bed.

"Goodnight, Levi."